Is it a Morgan, is it a Heritage , is it a boat ?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Is it a Morgan, is it a Heritage , is it a boat ?

Post by krissteyn »

Found this whilst googling - but info seems scarce and am trying to get more details. If the specifications are what I want - I would consider it worth looking for/buying...
The old owner is non-responsive...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rumrunner ... /my_photos
dont worry - be happy !
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

What is that projection??

Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That looks like a modified Morgan Out Island 41.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

ditto on the Out Island...to me anyway
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by krissteyn »

What I got from the original site was - "classic morgan 38' ketch" heritage west indies - and when googling , came up with nothing !

It was the 38' ketch that caught my eye - as that falls within my parameters/wish list.

name of boat was/is ESTRALITA and was in PR in 2003 asking 45K then - and it was sold - apparently a US Documented boat - but That is all the info I have - That keel "sure is different" !

Sailors on this site have a lot more experience - hence the forum listing.

dunno if this helps ????
dont worry - be happy !
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It may be a 38 rather than a 41, but it is absolutely a Morgan Out Island. They are very distinctive. They were originally built for the charter trade in the 70s and are reknowned for being slooooow.

This particular one has a Mars keel (that's the company name that casts many lead keels), or at least the winglets are from Mars. I'm not a fan of wings on cruising boats. Wing keels were mostly a fad from the 80s thanks to Australia II. You don't see many new boats being offered with wings anymore. I wouldn't want those extra line catchers hanging beneath my boat all the time, and forget about a easily getting away from a grounding on coral or ledge.

The modified sugar scoop transom actually adds to the aesthetics of the boat by drawing it out more. Plus, the scoop is useful for boarding.

Try searching for Morgan Out Island and see what you come up with. The 41 was the most common, but hey made several models, down to a 33-footer. They all share similar looks.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Old Morgans

Post by Quetzalsailor »

The pictured boat looks like a M41 OI, with a modified transom, as stated above. The odd arrangement of ports, forward in the raised deck sides and aft in the bump, are the giveaway, as is the hull shape forward. Charlie designed 'em in the early '70s but sold his Morgan Yacht Company to Beatrice Foods in about 1978; Beatrice sold to Catalina in about 1985. Charlie was still active designing boats like the Heritages and many others. While he designed fast beautiful yachts in the '60s and early '70s, most of his later designs were voluminous cruisers (to put it politely).

There were something like 2500 M41 OIs built from about 1972 to 1990: lots of variations inside and in rig; lots to choose from!

Can't imagine why anyone would have put the Mars on this boat! It's a heavy, stable, shallow draft, full keel, centerboarder (I think), and would not benefit. The Mars trick is for docking the deeper keels of faster boats for use in thin waters.
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by krissteyn »

Thanx for the expertise - I have learnt a lot - I now know about Mars keels and why not to have winglets...

I really appreciate the input

Kris

Of course , this just makes my search for a full keeled ketch more interesting...
dont worry - be happy !
sailman
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by sailman »

That is definately an OI41. I don't see any reason to spend that kind of money on a mars keel especially with winglets. I have a Heritage West Indies 36 and am familiar with the other West Indies Charley Morgan produced. The 36 was the only one that was not of the same generous proportions common to the Out Island series.

Will Museler
'Delfino' Heritage West Indies 36
http://home.earthlink.net/~sailonedesign/index.html