Hospice cup, Oct 6- 8, Rappahanock River VA

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Hospice cup, Oct 6- 8, Rappahanock River VA

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I am going to this. I wanted to make sure the other Plastic Classics knew about it. If anyone else is coming we should set at time to meet and get together!

For the Classic Plastic folks on the southern bay this could be a great rendevous.

They even have a great thing for non crew to enjoy the racing...spend the day on Miss Ann watching the boats race!!

http://www.hospiceturkeyshootregatta.com/

" This is an invitation from me (John McConnico ) to you to participate in the tenth annual Turkey Shoot- A Hospice Regatta. In 2004 this regatta was voted by the readers of Chesapeake Bay magazine to be the "Most Fun" regatta on the entire Southern Chesapeake Bay.

The reason it is rated as the "most fun" regatta is because of the laid back attitude we have toward racing and all of the great shore side activities conducted by the Hospice volunteers from the Northern Neck and the Middle Peninsula of Virginia.

This is a regatta for people who don?t attend regattas or do much in the way of racing as well as those who are really competitive. We even spend a few minutes at the Saturday Skippers meeting explaining the three or four rules of racing that will get you around the course adequately and then we go sailing. The boats are generally crewed by family and friends and we give awards for things like "Best looking Boat" as well as "first in class."

For a high percentage of sailors this regatta is the first and only regatta that they participate in and many would not miss it for the world. Lee Williams an 80 year old man out of Carter Creek sailing a 40-year-old 24-foot boat finished the first triangle around the course and was first across the finish line. He asked the race committee if he won? They said "No. You have to go around twice." He asked for directions to the next mark and they gave him compass directions and he said " I don?t have a compass" They then pointed toward the next mark and he took off in the direction they pointed. When he crossed the finish line first again he had won his class and the overall trophy for the Turkey Shoot and the next April he represented us at the Hospice National Regatta in Annapolis. At the next Turkey Shoot he brought a Boy Scout folding compass that he carried in his pocket. It was not filled with liquid and the needle bounced all over the place but he did have a compass now.

On Sunday we have a different format race. The game is to not be passed from behind and to pass every one of the slower boats in front of you. When you finish on Sunday you sail around the "Miss Ann". This is the 120-foot boat from the Tides Inn and it is loaded with 100 spectators on it. It will be anchored close to the finish line and you sail your boat around the Miss Ann and try to be friendly to the folks on board taking pictures of your boat. They are voting for the best looking boat in the Regatta. The winner will receive the "Miss Ann?s Choice" trophy

The shore side activities would be described by the young folks of today as "Awesome" but I don?t like that word and will tell you some of the things that are going on and you can supply the adjectives yourself.

Friday evening we have a cocktail party with plenty of snacks so you won?t need anymore dinner. A couple of years ago Mike Gadwell a hospice volunteer smoked a 50+ pound Striped Bass and it was the center of all attention as it swiftly disappeared right down to the mahogany tray it was on. Then the live entertainment starts.

Saturday morning Carole Jean McConnico (my good-looking wife) and her crew prepare a really knock out breakfast. Last year it was a Goose-Hunters breakfast with fresh Hardee?s biscuits, orange juice jams and jellies and plenty of strong coffee. The recipe came from Lawrence Latane. This will keep you and your crew going until suppertime and then Sunday morning they repeat the whole thing.

Saturday night is The Big Feed. The volunteers coordinated by Lenore Foster ( a current hospice volunteer who used to own a hotel in the wild, wild west) really put on a spread. Mike and Diane cook a whole hog. That is something to see. And the volunteers prepare a really good supper that will make you let out a notch or two on your belt, then the band starts playing.

Now for the Serious Side.

This regatta is the major fund raising effort of the Hospice of the Northern Neck, Riverside Hospice and Middlesex Hospice. For the last several years we have raised in the neighborhood of $25,000 each year. Our population in this area is getting older and the list of hospice patients is growing longer. Your participation in this regatta really helps the people in this area. None of the money leaves this area. We all eventually will need hospice care. It may come from relatives or from volunteers like ours but we will need help if we live long enough. This is your chance to have a really great time and help others while doing it. A pretty rare opportunity. Come and join us won?t you?

The Turkey Shoot--a Hospice Regatta

For classic sailboats that are 25 years old or built to a design that is 25 years old or older.

To register go on line to www.hospiceturkeyshootregatta.com . . Fill out the info and we will send you all you need to have to participate.

Entry fee is $40.00 and you get a hat, a tee shirt, and breakfast for your crew for two days. If you do not have a rating we will assign you one."
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Turkey Shoot Regatta

Post by radicalcy »

Ric,
I sent in my information today. The check is in the mail. I entered my '65 Columbia Sabre hull #51. Drop me a line at Radicalcy(at)yahoo.com and we can see about co ordinating some sort of joint effort. I have another boat docked in Urbanna, so maybe we can plan something there. I know a few other folks in the area that may want to join in if we can organize something.
Larry Wilson
Glen Allen West Marine
Richmond,VA.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Good!

I think we won't make it far from Yankee point. I am thinking we should meet at one of the parties or Friday night after the skippers meeting...something along those lines.

I know I'd recognize you since you are the glen allen WM I feel like I am almost a regular.

This should be fun!

Anyone ever think to deisgn a Classic Plastic Burgee or something???
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~