Daysailors

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Daysailors

Post by Figment »

Pilot's Point marina (part of the Brewer network) in Westbrook, CT has a pair of daysailors out on the lawn that have been for sale for at least 5 years. I've driven past a thousand times without a thought, but last weekend they caught my eye for some reason. Unfortunately, my drive-by photo effort was thwarted by oncoming traffic.

I think that they're Solings, but I could be mistaken. Possibly Etchells. On the order of 24-28', fin keel, flush deck, sweet lines.

The marina used to maintain a small fleet of these for use by the customers who didn't feel like taking their "big boats" out for the day, and they had their own start in the Wednesday Night series. When Brewer took over they put the fleet up for sale, and these two are what's left.

They're in the rough, but they're diamonds, and they could probably be had for a song.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

This is a Soling...

...and this is an Etchells.

They look very similar, but the Etchells is longer (30' vs. 27' for the Soling), and has a low shelter cabin over the forward end of the cockpit.

It might also possibly be a Yngling, which is smaller than a Soling (24', I think). The Yngling also has a shelter cabin, but it's higher and more rounded than the Etchells.

Is there any contact info for these boats? Pass it on! After all, I need something to do once my Daysailor is complete!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

Post by manos »

Tim,

You remind me of my younger days that I was sailing a soling, a beautiful boat with such nice lines. It is a pity that it is not longer an Olympic class boat (replaced by Star for men and by Yngling for women efective by the next Olympic games in Athens next summer http://www.athens2004.com/page/default.asp?la=2&id=9388). Many of these boats are now used in clubs in Greece for general dinghy training or have been sold to private owners. I read somewhere that large amounts of these boats around the world are been sold in cheap prices to various clubs in England that create fleets for club racing. So thank god we 'll see them around for some time. It's a funny think too that in my club there are two old Dragons (private now but these were my club's Olympic class boats in the sixties) in imaculate condition.