Tripp 30

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Tripp 30

Post by keelbolts »

What does a Tripp 30 draw?
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Thanks.
The Good Goose

Tripp 30 cockpit

Post by The Good Goose »

I looked at this boat a couple of days ago. Nice boat needs some cosmetics and an engine but overall looks decent. It had the smallest cockpit and the greatest bend in a tiller that I have ever seen in a cruising boat of 30 feet. Does anyone know if this tiny cockpit is standard? It looked as though the Bridge deck might have been modified or maybe there wasn't a bridge deck and it was added. It seemed to me that more than two in the cockpit would have been tough.

Thanks
Brock
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Funky fin on that boat too!!!

No inboard and no attempt to close up the prop opening.

Very pretty boat though. Always liked Tripp designs.

Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Brock,

I've drooled over the listing for that boat a few times myself :-)

I don't see any cockpit photos on the Yachtworld ad, but here are a couple of photos of another Tripp 30 (you can't see the whole cockpit, but much of it is visible). They do have a large bridge deck, that's higher than the rest of the cockpit benches, so I suppose that makes it seem small (in addition to possibly being small in fact). It looks narrow at the stern end, too.

This boat is 1960 hull #15.

Here's the original plan (no "wacky" fin): (By the way, I apologize for this post getting so "wide" - I wasn't sure how to make the specs page narrower. I hope it's not too much bother for everyone. If it is, I can edit the post to remove it.

Webmaster edit: Photo resized by the boss.

They are beautiful. I have a soft spot for the early, Dutch-built fiberglass boats :-)
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

What does a Tripp 30 draw?
This sounds like a trick question to me, but I think I know the answer:

about a dozen admiring Triton owners whenever she's out on the hard.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

Thanks for the info Rachel. It looks like the traveler has been moved forward on this boat and the cockpit shortened. I think the boom may have shrunk as well. After seeing this boat my complaint with this design is that the rudder post and thus the tiller is to far forward. The tiller seems crammed into the cockpit with a huge bend to make it fit. I didn't go below as it was locked but looking through the ports it seemed very similar in size to a triton I expected a little more rooom.

Brock
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for re-sizing that image, Tim.

Brock - interesting about the cockpit/tiller. I've never been on a Tripp 30, although just from looking at the photos I wished that bridge deck weren't so high. I do like to have a bridge deck, but it's nice when it's the same height as the rest of the cockpit seating. I mean, otherwise how do you sit and lean against the aft side of the cabin house and stretch your legs out? Or sleep there?

Gee, that sounds so petty, doesn't it.

--- R.
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

I agree with you Rachel. I can't figure why they made the bridge deck higher than the seats. I think if I were buying this boat I would think about modifying the bridge deck to give more cockpit space. Compared to the tritons almost too roomy cockpit this one felt itsy bitsy.

Brock
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The Tripp 30 isn't really a 30-foot boat.

OK, it is 30' overall, but look at the DWL: 20'. That's shorter than the DWL of a Triton. Look at the beam: 8'-6"--barely more than a Triton. All that extra length is just in the overhangs. Overhangs look great, but they really reduce the space available for the actual "boat" part of the boat.

The high bridgedeck exists to allow more room in the galley beneath. You can see this by studying the plans. Without the large bridgedeck, I imagine the tiny cabin would seem even smaller than it actually is. Compromises, compromises.

This is an example of a boat that was drawn with a beautiful hull and spectacular overhangs, convenience and interior space be damned! She may be a looker, but is probably not an ideal cruising boat for her length. The lines are beautiful, though.

I just noticed that the head is "fully enclosed", quoting from the literature. Wow...that must be a cramped experience.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here are a couple of photos of a Tripp 30 belowdecks, in case anyone would like to see (not the "for sale" one).

Yes, the space beneath the bridge deck is used in the galley; but I think you might still be able to get away with lowering it. Hard to tell for sure without being on the boat.

Like other early, Dutch-built Seafarer fiberglass boats, this one has a very wide companionway, and also shows a love of fiberglass in the interior (galley flat, main bulkhead, etc.). I like it though - it's nicely done. And the wooden spar helps to warm it up.

I'm not positive, but I suspect that the wood might have been added to the upper part of the main bulkhead. Also, I think it might have had a simple "plastered" headliner, and that the vinyl may have been added. These are just hunches though -- this boat was built at Werkspoor, Utrecht (Holland), whereas the ones I'm more familiar with were built at Amsterdam Shipyard, G. deVries Lentsch, Jr., in Vianen (also Holland).

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh, and I meant to add that I really like the fact that they managed to make the opening into the V-berth over to starboard far enough allow the mast to be supported, and alleviate a horizontal "header" beam. In this case the mast is keel stepped, but even if it were deck-stepped it could have a compression post.

That's not to say that a beam can't work; but if possible, I like the off center opening. Leaves a nice spot for a table, too.

R.
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

while the topic's active... $2500 Buy it Now. Needs some work and an engine, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dutch-Bu ... dZViewItem
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

I really like the Tripp 30, but I keep coming back to the Triton. So glad to hear that, in terms of volume, the Triton is comparable. Also, after almost 20 years of wooden masts, I can tell you that while a wooden stick's flexibility makes it somewhat more resistant to failure and it is unquestionably better looking, it's a pain in the butt to keep up. Nope, I'm looking forward to ignoring my ugly aluminum stick.

As an aside keep in mind, that in times past, aside from looking sweet, long overhangs mostly were a result of trying to play the racing rules. Your rating was based on LWL, among other things. So your 20' WL becomes 28'? when you heel over. Now your theoretical hull speed is substantially faster than your 20' LWL would suggest.