Interesting modified Allied Seawind

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Interesting modified Allied Seawind

Post by tikvah59 »

A highly customized Seawind I is for sale on Yachtworld. They removed the mizzen mast and added a pilot house. Wonder if they increased the sail area of the main?

Given the asking price, they must think it's too quirky to sell easily. Maybe it's a starting point for someone's dream motorsailor?

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here's a link to the listing, and a picture.

That pilothouse is way too blocky and square, given the general roundness of the boat's design in the first place. Yuck.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Just a personal opinion of course. I bet the guy in the picture loves it!

Not to my taste though.

-Britton
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

'Jim never has to set a steadying sail since the of addition 2nd story mother-in-law suite'
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

Even if the value estimates of the 'upgrades' are too high, isn't it a little embarassing to be offering the boat for so much less? One man's folly, I guess.

Still I wonder how big that Yanmar is . . . ;-)

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else that a 25 lb Danforth anchor for ground tackle seems a little light to be circumnavigating the globe with this boat?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Tim

Post by Tim »

Some people just seem to love those Danforths, and don't seem to realize that there are many other anchors that are far, far better for cruising!

Not to say that Danforths don't have their place: they do. But I think there are certainly better primary anchor choices--and the field seems to be growing.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else that a 25 lb Danforth anchor for ground tackle seems a little light to be circumnavigating the globe with this boat?
I bet the 25# Danforth is sized right for the boat. It is probably even a bit oversized. I think the charts for my boat (28 foot, ~8000#) call for a 13# Danforth (or was it 18#?).

That said, I think the Danforth is a pretty poor choice as a primary anchor when cruising.

-Britton
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote: I think the charts for my boat (28 foot, ~8000#) call for a 13# Danforth (or was it 18#?).
All I can say to that size recommendation chart is, "HA!" (Though I know that your quote is accurate.)

I'm sure the 25# is the "recommended" size for that boat. The problem is more in the anchor design than the weight--just a poor all-around anchor choice, that's all.

13# Danforths are great for kedging, or lunch hooks. If one wants to have a chance of sleeping, well...

It's miserable hand-hauling a 35# CQR and 30 feet of 5/16" chain if the water depth is 20 feet or more, but I sure like knowing it's down there when the wind blows! I have 2 Danforths on board (one as a stern anchor), but they have yet to see the water.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Tim wrote:13# Danforths are great for kedging, or lunch hooks. If one wants to have a chance of sleeping, well...

It's miserable hand-hauling a 35# CQR and 30 feet of 5/16" chain if the water depth is 20 feet or more, but I sure like knowing it's down there when the wind blows! I have 2 Danforths on board (one as a stern anchor), but they have yet to see the water.
Oh good, the old "which anchor" discussion! My two cents worth is that the right anchor is two (different) anchors. It's a habit I acquired way back, and now it just feels right. Now I look at the the vast majority of people who swing on one anchor, and think how vulnerable they look.
Advantages: less swinging room, redundancy, diversification, less strain/chafe on each, better chance of resetting
Disadvantages: more work, more time, more mess, chance the rodes or anchors can foul each other

I set the first one in hard (the Bruce), then haul back up until the scope is about 2:1. The boat keeps moving forward a bit, then the wind blows me sideways, and I let go the second anchor (large Danforth) when I am reasonably well away from the first. I set it, with the first rode slack, then even them up, and back down on the two together.
The rodes end up about 60 degrees apart, with the secondary having not quite as much scope as the first. When it's time to go, I break out and haul the primary by hand, and get it all squared away. It's a bit lighter and quicker after that to sail or motor off the secondary.

I've rarely found that I'm only riding to one anchor the next day, and the only time I've had a tangle it was minor (and there was so little wind it didn't matter anyway). If there's a pronounced wind shift, I end up riding mostly to the windward anchor, of course. In this case, the second one becomes more of a safety (slack rode, but deployed in case of the first one dragging).

I like the Bruce because it resets better than a plow, and works in a wider variety of conditions. I use the Danforth because it was on the boat and I might as well get some use out of it. It's got a lot more holding power per pound than a plow, and also resets better, so I find it works out nicely as a secondary anchor.
Last edited by Duncan on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

By the way, I saw a pilothouse on an Alberg 30 two summers ago. It used up the whole cockpit, but it really did look right, as well as being very salty and practical in appearance. I couldn't help thinking that I'd prefer some fresh air and openness in the summer, but he was living aboard the boat and said he had no regrets.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by krissteyn »

I sailed a modified 42' ketch with the mizzen removed, boom extended by 15" and it sailed downwind like a dog - The huge auto-pilot worked so hard you hard to recharge the batteries too often. So would not consider such a modified boat again.
dont worry - be happy !
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Seawind

Post by rshowarth »

That Seawind has moved on to E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Allied-S ... ewItem[url][/url]
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian