allied luders 33

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

allied luders 33

Post by The Good Goose »

Anyone have any experience withan allied luders 33? Saw one in CT for sale and it looked really sharp. Found a cheap one in florida. 10 grand obviously a fixer upper. Any thoughts?

Brock Richardson
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

This may not fall under the "experience" category that you had in mind, but...

I had one ROMP right over the top of me on a broad reach last summer. So pretty I didn't mind one little bit.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Brock, does this mean you are in the market for a new project boat?

-Britton
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Re: allied luders 33

Post by tikvah59 »

The Good Goose wrote:Anyone have any experience withan allied luders 33?
No experience other than lusting after them whenever I see one. Found a site here with a short description and a link to a Practical Sailor review of the Luders 33.

Brock, are you sure you want another old boat with balsa cored decks? ;-) There's a lot more deck to go soggy in a 33 footer than on a Triton.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

I sailed on one a few years ago and was impressed. Luders' designs are well respected, and the 33 has a reputation as a "go anywhere" boat. That is, a Luders 33 in good condition. ;-)
John
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The Luders 33 is a nice design--nice lines, good layout, respected designer. Allied built decent boats--pretty no-frills and basic, as are most boats from the 60s, but the hulls and decks seem to be as good as any boat. Note that Robin Lee Graham finished his well-documented circumnavigation in a Luders 33 (after completing 3/4 in a Lapworth 24).

The Luders 33 and the Seabreeze share substantially the same deck mold. The hulls are a bit different, but the boats are very similar in many ways.

I'm sure you'd be pleased with the boat, and she seems a logical evolution for a Triton owner. As with any boat of this age, it's all about the potential.

Good luck if you decide to pursue the project boat! Some people are just gluttons for punishment.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

bcooke wrote:Brock, does this mean you are in the market for a new project boat?

-Britton
Not really in the market just dreaming. If I didn't like the triton so well I might make the jump to something bigger. If anyone else is interested its listed on boattrader.com I searched Allied and it came up. Its listed as a "ludders 33" so it didn't come up in the luders search.