Glander Cay Sailboats

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Glander Cay Sailboats

Post by Dan H »

Does any one have any information about Glander Cay sailboats? Are they any good or are they junk?
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

You watching that one slowly sink into "free boat - please come get it" status on the classic plastic list?

http://cruisenews.net/cgi-bin/classic/webbbs_config.pl

I swear one day he will give it away!!! I think it started at $6000 in 12/2005 and it is now $3000.00

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

The seller alludes to this in his ad, mentioning Herreshoff, but I believe the Glander Cay 23 is based on the Herreshoff "Prudence" design, with the cabin-house redesigned to allow for standing headroom. I'm under the impression that they're heavily built (as in: they weigh a lot).

Looks-wise, it's one of those boats that always has me mentally slicing the cabin off, as it's rather tall and ungainly to my eye. Of course you have to do *something* to get standing headroom in a 23-footer. I think part of it is the rectangular ports. I always want to try to do something with an eyebrow or different ports, when I look at it -- I think you could make it look a bit more integrated.

--- Rachel

CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Rachel - you are correct- the Cay was based on Prudence. Dooley had Halsey Herreshoff do the redraw for him if my memory serves.. Nice liitle boat, quite the equal of a Flicka in interior space. The Cay is the same size as the Flicka. Sailed pretty much the same too. I got a chance to sail aboard one back in the early 70's

We drove down to inspect the plant and visited with Dooley and his wife about 1972 or 1983. Saw the construction of that boat and of the Glander 33- the centerboard yawl that he also built.

Hull , deck and cabin construction was first rate on both boats. The thing that put us off the 33 was that it had absolutely NO bilge so any water that got in was over the soles immediately.

Of course most of the interiors were owner built, so as in the very early Flickas, that varies from top notch to ohmygawd.

We did later meet a couple cruising full time on a 33. They seemed quite happy with the boat.
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

You watching that one slowly sink into "free boat - please come get it" status on the classic plastic list?
Yup, that 's the one I'm watching. I figure I'll go look at it when he drops the price to that of the trailer. I like buying boats for the price of the trailer.
It's not very far from my home. For only $2,500.00 or so you could have a lot of fun with it.
I'm not looking for a gold mine, just something to screw around with, go fishing, whatever.
Might have to make a road trip this weekend and have a look at her.
Thanks for the info,
Dan
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

Yup, that 's the one I'm watching. I figure I'll go look at it when he drops the price to that of the trailer. I like buying boats for the price of the trailer.
It's not very far from my home. For only $2,500.00 or so you could have a lot of fun with it.
I'm not looking for a gold mine, just something to screw around with, go fishing, whatever.
Thanks for the info,
Dan
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

Thanks for the info,
Dan
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I think I'd go with $2000 cash in hand and lay it on the table. It has been a year+ trying to sell it. Pretty clear it isn't going anywhere.

His practice of putting an add on each day and lowering the price has set expectations that it is worthless and that the price will continue to fall.

I am sure others are waiting for the trailer price too. I'd go make it happen.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~