12 meter miniature

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tohbi

12 meter miniature

Post by Tohbi »

i have acquired a tank test model of a 12 meter race boat. it is 18'x4' with the long overhangs endemic to america's cup racers, and a winged keel. i'm thinking of internal ballast and a low aspect, sloop rig.

can anyone give me some handling characteristics of this design? i know it is a very efficient hull but is it feasible to use as a single-hand cruiser? thanks, tohbi
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Sounds pretty cool! I don't suppose you have a photo you could post, do you? If you need help with photos on this forum, feel free to email me direct at tlackey@triton381.com.

I would guess you'll be in for a fun--and wet--ride once you get that hull rigged up! I have seen similar (perhaps identical) mini-12 meters that contain one person inside a very miniaturized version of the design, with full rig and sail controls. Very cool--but for fair weather and flat water only!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tohbi

Post by Tohbi »

no photos yet, tim. the hull is in california and i'm in arizona. you may be able to see it at the ebay site: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2420434885

if that doesn't work, just go to ebay and list the item number at the end of the url.

i'm thinking this design will sail kinda like a big canoe but i'm not sure of the characteristics or what i should do to make it more seaworthy. since it is only a hull, i can add freeboard before decking but that will put even more weight in the ends. i thought someone with design skills could tell us how she will handle.