Free Triton, and boat stands in Maryland

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Free Triton, and boat stands in Maryland

Post by radicalcy »

Found this website, free Triton in Maryland. Thought I'd pass it along. May or not still be available, but it was just posted.

http://blog.oldragbaggersonline.com/

Larry Wilson
Richmond,Va.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think we've seen this one before, but it might not have been a giveaway at the time.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

She might be a candidate for a daysailor conversion.

-Britton
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I've been thinking of going the other way... motorsailer (sailor?) conversion!!!
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Naw, Tim can't do the same thing again. How about "The Weekender"?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I've been thinking of going the other way... motorsailer (sailor?) conversion!!!
With a D-8 caterpillar engine featuring individual chromed exhaust stacks turning twin 24" screws. Think of the havoc you could create in the "No Wake" zone :-)

I have a feeling Tim will pass on this one, been there done that after all, but there must be someone else out there who might want their own version of a Triton daysailor. I think it has been proven that the concept has merit.

-Britton
brucebrown100@yahoo.com
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by brucebrown100@yahoo.com »

Well the price is right and the hull looks to be in not too bad of shape.
However the line that says "the decks are really soft" scares me. Anyone
know of a boat mover in Maryland that ships to Atlantic Canada?

-Bruce
Bruce Brown
Cardigan
Prince Edward Island
Canada
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

brucebrown100@yahoo.com wrote: However the line that says "the decks are really soft" scares me...

-Bruce
Isn't that just the honest version of "a couple of soft spots"? ;-)

--- R.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Bruce,
However the line that says "the decks are really soft" scares me...
I'm not sure that there is much difference here between a "little" soft and " really" soft. I'm told these East Cost Tritons are all going to have some kind of deck problems no matter the appearant symptoms from above. Mine was fairly dry when I removed the core, but I think I'll be glad that I did the recore even though I have a fair ways to go to finish it. You could find a boat that is "servicable", but it seems like these 45 year old decks are all approaching the end of their usefull lives, so maybe that would not be the disqualifier that it first appears. It seems that if one wants to keep a solid EC Triton for several more years, they would need to be prepared for a re-core in the not to distant future.

More telling to me seems to be the obvious paint delamination and water marks below that might indicate a fair amount of water damage (though I may the least qualified person on this forum to know). I wasn't that discriminating when chosing my "project" Triton, and there have been a fair share of surprises. I'm sure I could be well ahead of were I am now if I had gone for one in a little better shape. Still, I have enjoyed the unique challenges of "my boat".

It would be easy to say that this boat isn't worth the effort. One could easily make the argument that there would be a better value out there. Still, it is sad to think this one has no future.

I know there was a professional rigger in Deltaville, VA who had made all new spars and rigging for a Triton, but the deal somehow fell through. He was looking to sell the whole package last summer, but I'm sure it will not be cheap. It didn't appeal that much to me at the time, but he may still have it.

Joe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

brucebrown100@yahoo.com wrote:Well the price is right and the hull looks to be in not too bad of shape.
However the line that says "the decks are really soft" scares me. Anyone
know of a boat mover in Maryland that ships to Atlantic Canada?

-Bruce
A free boat is as cheap a place to start as possible, of course. It's clear that this is a serious project boat, and will require a gut job. The decks are the least of the problem. Only the strong need apply for this "free" boat...but for the right, motivated person, she'd be a great platform from which to start. Just don't expect to be sailing on her for a few years, anyway.

If the prospect of soft decks scares you, then this is probably not the boat! I say she is worth saving, but not from a purely financial standpoint. Even the lowest-level "restoration" on this boat would cost more than the boat might be worth afterwards, given the need to completely re-outfit the boat in terms of spars, sails, engine...

If I were closer I'd take her. Unfortunately, transport is too much to deal with given all the other things going on right now.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Tim wrote:If I were closer I'd take her
Does this mean you are entertaining more plans for a Radical Triton Transformation?

After I posted my last comment I realized Mike is problably serious about a motorsailor. Might be an interesting idea but I have a personal distaste for motorsailors so I wouldn't seriously entertain the option. At the last yard I was at someone took a rather ugly sailboat hull with a good motor, cut the deck off and was in the process of building an aft pilot house with the idea of creating a vessel for offshore fishing. Rather odd looking and didn't get too far before his interest waned.

I think this boat is worth the asking price or maybe a little less... But that is how I feel after I have taken on a project starting with a much healthier boat. I am scared of gut jobs.

Soft decks seems pretty standard on these old boats but I wouldn't say it is inevitable. Proper preventative maintenance and upkeep should keep the decks viable indefinitely (I am really hoping).
Only the strong need apply for this "free" boat...but for the right, motivated person, she'd be a great platform from which to start. Just don't expect to be sailing on her for a few years, anyway.
That is probably the most perfect and realistic opinion possible. The voice of real experience.

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I should add concerning soft decks that in my own experience, my boat was reportedly stored under cover for all or most of its life, coming out for only two months every season. My decks are pretty good and should stay that way at least through my lifetime :-) That is partly why I paid real money (relative to Tritons) for my boat. It didn't come to me as a true project boat, just a casual fix-as-you-go sort of boat that got out of control. You all know how that goes...

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:IMy decks are pretty good and should stay that way at least through my lifetime :-)
Especially if you don't get your respirator fixed! Did you actually find a source? I know you mentioned being on the phone all day...
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

A friend working at a marina knows a source. I spent WAY too much time online with nothing to show for it. I did notice that the respirator in question can be had for only $80 now. Still, I would rather pay $5 for the spare parts. I found and priced them but no one seems to have them in stock.

-Britton
Tim

Post by Tim »

You're more patient than I. I would have had a new one ordered for delivery the next day!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:I've been thinking of going the other way... motorsailer (sailor?) conversion!!!
I'm actually rather intrigued by that thought, just because it's different. Is this something you've thought through, or are you just being silly?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

You're more patient than I. I would have had a new one ordered for delivery the next day!
I am not more patient. I can't find the parts and my life is going down the drain without them so I am resorting to whining and pleading to everyone I know. This friend may be my last hope... I am actually tempted to just order a new respirator but my credit card might not have enough bounce left in it.

-Britton