Restoration rules on Pocketcruisers.com

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Restoration rules on Pocketcruisers.com

Post by MQMurphy »

Could be that a lot of you old hands have seen this article - I just read it this morning. Sorry if this is a really dumb 'new-guy-kind-of-thing' -
( . . . wow! have you guys heard about this great stuff called fiberglass?)
anyway, here it is:
http://www.pocketcruisers.com/art_restorerules.html

This article is making me pretty self-concious about that Edson wheel that a PO installed on my recently acquired Westwind : (

- Mike
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I mostly agree with most of that, except:
Rule #3: If your boat is a classic or a "one-design", keep it that way. The designer may have known something. Don't diddle with success.
There are a lot of Frankenstein boats out there, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement or even massive alteration. The Daysailor (do I have to call it Windsong now?) comes to mind, as do wooden toerails and other small changes to original design.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

I agree with you . . .

Post by MQMurphy »

. . . but what Tim did in the case of the Daysailor probably falls under the category addressed in the last paragraph of 'Rule 3'

Customizing, rebuilding, or upgrading (whatever you want to call it) of any "classic" should be done carefully and discreetly in order to maintain the boat's appearance, character, and sailing performance. You may regret anything done that detracts from the original.

Nothing about the Daysailor detracts from the original, IMO.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

What Tim did hardly qualifies as a restoration. He built a new boat from a bare hull. The hull happened to be a 40-year old classic, but it's really no different than buying a new bare hull.

imosfho! hehe
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

What Tim did hardly qualifies as a restoration. He built a new boat from a bare hull. The hull happened to be a 40-year old classic, but it's really no different than buying a new bare hull.
I would say it is even a step beyond buying a new bare hull - a new bare hull wouldn't involve all the demolition, fairing, sanding, painting etc. that the Daysailor (Windsong) needed.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I'd certainly agree that the Daysailor was well beyond what could be called a "restoration." However, while "Rule #3" does have some merit, I'm generally unopposed to people making design changes that suits their needs.

Sometimes it's catastrophically ugly, nonfunctional, and even dangerous, but other times it's just what the owner wants.

From adding a cutter rig, to major interior modifications, to upgrading and changing designs for offshore passage-making, that's part of the allure of the Triton and other, similar boats.

I am, admittedly, split on the issue. I can certainly see the wisdom of the rule - to a point. It's just that I have a hard time agreeing with a statement that limits the creativity and ingenuity of such a diverse group of owners.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

I don't think I called the Daysailor project a restoration. I see it as more like a rebuilding/customization taken in a new direction, and I think it was done carefully and discreetly (as if he'd do it any other way).
Robert The Gray's work on Whisper is, I think, careful and discreet customization. I think the author of the "6 Rules" was speaking more to the thoughtless and catastrophic modifications that he's seen.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Should add to rule 3....

Post by dkall »

Should add to rule 3,

Rule #3: If your boat is a classic or a "one-design", keep it that way.

Unless you have sailed 5k miles or live aboard for a year in a similar boat.

Without the experience, changing the interior should be left to the yacht designer. Just IMHO.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I mostly agree with the Pocket Cruisers list, even if the opinions stated there can be a bit cranky in tone at times. The author is an old warhorse, of strong opinion and years of experience, but can be a bit outspoken and downright rude (unnecessarily so) at times.

I think the well-intentioned point of something like Rule #3 is to first inform and second prevent (hopefully) unskilled and inexperienced people from making sweeping changes to any boat, particularly when those people may not have the depths of experience in their personal toolbox needed to truly know what might or might not benefit from "improvement".

There are lots of boneheaded modifications to be seen out there. Perhaps one of the most misguided was the heavily modified Pearson Ariel that was turned into something reminiscent of a pirate ship. (Does anyone familiar with this remember the name of this boat? If so, photos can be searched for and seen on the Ariel board. If you remember, post it here, please!)

Not all modifications are bad. Production boats are built with fairly straightforward layouts that are intended to cover all bases; rarely are they perfect for everyone's needs. Some personalization is fine, but I completely agree that any modifications to a boat should be undertaken only with an understanding of what one is doing, and should be based on sound experience rather than a whim.

Obviously, significant structural modifications, including rig changes, should be undertaken only by those with a full understanding of the ramifications of those changes.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

prevent (hopefully) unskilled and inexperienced people from making sweeping changes to any boat
I had the good fortune of meeting Robert Perry once, and he related a conversation he had with a sailor who was absolutely convinced that the perfect companionway hatch cover was a........refrigerator door. I chuckle every time I think about that one - you can almost hear the luney-tune theme playing in the background.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sometimes it's best to just let others make the mistaken moves that they are convinced will be the right thing, and hope that they learn the hard way.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Sailing Darwin awards

Post by JonnyBoats »

Sometimes it's best to just let others make the mistaken moves that they are convinced will be the right thing, and hope that they learn the hard way.
You mean my idea of carrying a lawn chair with lots of helium balloons instead of a life raft isn't the perfect solution? After all, who wants to be tossed around in a storm when one can simply rise above it all. <smile>

Perhaps we need a new section for sailing Darwin awards. We could nominate people who almost killed themselves because of stupid things they tried at sea.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Tim

Post by Tim »

JonnyBoats wrote:Perhaps we need a new section for sailing Darwin awards. We could nominate people who almost killed themselves because of stupid things they tried at sea.
That'd be a long list!