success story

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

success story

Post by Figment »

Earlier in my search for a Triton, I came across a pair that were languishing at a nautical wrecking yard that called itself a "marina" in Bridgeport. The seller and I were unable to come to terms (I suspect he had the salvage value of the lead ballast as his bottom line), so my search continued. I posted on the Yahoo list a few times about them, hoping someone else would give a good home to one or the other.

Someone did. I spotted the blue one, hull 250-something, moored 100yards downriver from me last night.

The heart swells.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I told a friend about those two boats about a year and a half ago, shortly after I had heard about them. He was a motivated buyer in search of a dire project boat, and they seemed perfect. He drove from central Maine to Bridgeport to view the boats, and made every possible attempt to get the owner or whatever of that "yard" to fix a price for one of the boats, to call him back, and/or to generally show that he was actually intersted in selling them. After some weeks of extreme levels of frustration, my friend gave up and ended up with an Alberg 30 from somewhere in New York later last summer.

A couple months ago, I got an email from someone who indicated they had purchased one of those Bridgeport boats at town auction or some such--must be the one you saw. Glad to hear she's made it to the water!

Wonder what, if anything, became of the other one. I saw video that my buddy shot of both boats, and they looked pretty rough--seemed like the marina guy wanted too much for them.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yeah, he wanted something like $2500 for each. Both had soft decks and a foot of water in the bilge. one had no sails, the other had a dead engine. To walk these docks was to risk serious injury. I tried to deal with him in terms of buying the boat with the good engine if he'd toss in the sails from the other, but he claimed that he was acting as broker for two different owners and wasn't able to part them out like that. He didn't seem a very motivated seller.