Purchase then Resell a prefab shelter?

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Purchase then Resell a prefab shelter?

Post by hriehl1 »

First, many thanks for everyone's answers as I embark on the refit of my Hinterhoeller HR 28.

I think I'll only have need for a decent shelter for this upcoming year, once the refit work is done (hopefully by summer 2011) I'll launch and store at a yard where I'll only need a cover, not a shelter.

So... While I know I could spend 60+/- hours and $800+/- to build something, I'm wondering whether buying a pre-fab unit for $1500 +/- and then selling it next fall might make more sense. Looking in Craigslist for used temporary shelters, I see 3 posts for "Wanted" for every "For Sale" post, indicating there is demand for used shelters.

Has anyone followed this approach and would you do it that way again? If I can get in-and-out of a prefab shelter for $600-800 for a year, and save the time building my own, it seems like a win for me.

For (forum Admin) Tim, would posting a used prefab shelter for sale on this board next fall be OK? Seems like a good place to advertise one if that is "kosher".

Thanks for your thoughts.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Purchase then Resell a prefab shelter?

Post by Hirilondë »

hriehl1 wrote: For (forum Admin) Tim, would posting a used prefab shelter for sale on this board next fall be OK? Seems like a good place to advertise one if that is "kosher".
Check out the last section of the forum and read the description of how it is to be used. I think you will find your answer there.

I think you will like what you find as well ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
avd155

Re: Purchase then Resell a prefab shelter?

Post by avd155 »

I think you will be able to build something for less than $800. Here's what I did:

+ Basic Structure - 16 4×4′s on top of 16 pier blocks, 8 20′ lengths of PVC fastened to the top of the 4×4′s, and a 20′ x 40′ tarp, all lashed tightly together. The final structure measures 40′ L x 14′ W x 17′ H.
+ Floor – I used large, 11′ x 7′ pallets, for a floor base. After making the pallets relatively level, I screwed sheets of plywood on top of the pallets and gave myself a real wood floor.
+ Clean Room – I built a a plastic sheeted room that contains my tools, epoxy, etc.. It’s essentially a sealed area within the boat shed that allows for clean fiberglass preparation, staining and more. An added benefit of this area is the ability to maintain an average 50 degree temperature by running a heater. As all boat repair people know, higher temperatures open up a number of epoxy projects that can be completed during the colder winter temperatures.
+ Organization / Storage – I’ve been organizing with each rendition of my work areas, but this time I spent time really thinking out how things should be laid out. Now, I can find materials and tools in seconds, rather than minutes.
+ Lathing – Instead of staples, I secured the tarp walls using lathing which was a huge improvement to the wind resistance of the tarp walls. I would highly suggest anyone building this type of structure to add lathing where possible.

Full info found here: http://bristol27.com/blog/boat-shed-version-3-0/