Another Temporary Shelter

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Another Temporary Shelter

Post by Tim »

Obviously, my boatbarn should have been bigger.

Lacking that, however, I began construction of a temporary shelter off the south wall to house the Lyman for the winter so that I can start stripping paint and varnish, and other non-temperature sensitive chores.

Check it out here: Temporary Project Shelter
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Pretty cool Tim! However, you know that you should have just made it an addition to the barn ha ha. But maybe that would have been a tough sell to your wife after only one season in the new facility. One question though - Will you put the boat on poppets and yank the trailer, or just work on the trailer?
Bruce
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Why temporary? It looks like that could stand for quite a while!!
I chose the green/black tarp..... partly because I wanted a low reflectivity on the inside of the shelter (rather than using, say, a white tarp),
That seems rather counterintuitive. I must be overlooking the advantage. What's the upside of low reflectivity?

(Please, talk me out of spending hundreds on white greenhouse plastic for my stimson shed next month!)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Ever been inside a white-tarped building in bright sun? It's blinding. And hot. I don't want a greenhouse--just a building. The dark tarp may get hot itself, and it could be hot in the rafters, but I think overall the temperature inside will remain more moderate than if white were used. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking this.

Having lived inside a clear plastic building for a couple years (during Glissando's restoration), I know that I prefer the shade that an opaque roof provides. Yes, it's darker inside--but not dark. There's plenty of light to be had through the end walls and side wall. But I think in this particular location, in full south/west sun all winter long with no shade, the white would get really irritating. Other locations may require a different approach.

Ideally, one would have an opaque roof with white inside to brighten it up. But they don't make white tarps with one dark side. There's a difference, as I see it, between having a white interior (as in the one inside the barn proper) and having white tarps through which the sun will beat. This is how I see it, anyway. Maybe I'm full of it--who knows.

I already miss having the open air just outside the side barn door. Therefore, I consider this particular arrangement to be temporary, though that could mean a couple years. It depends on how much I get done, and what I think of the whole thing next year. The possibility of constructing a true addition similar to this is not beyond the realm, someday. Such an addition would really be better off on the opposite wall, though. We'll see.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Ah, glare. That's what I hadn't considered. Yeah, I can see how that could be bothersome, particularly with the southwest orientation.

So if Nathan's boat is in the barn with the daysailor, and the Lyman is 'longside on the stone pad, where does that leave poor Glissando for the long cold winter???
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:...where does that leave poor Glissando for the long cold winter???
Just forward of the new shelter. Plenty of room. She's used to being outside, and I don't mind at all. I have no major projects planned for her this winter, having taken the opportunity last year to deal with that "after the restoration" project list.

What I really need is a "storage" barn and a "project" barn. Each about 60x100. Alas, I must be content with my measly little 30x40. Sigh. ;<)
Tim

Post by Tim »

JetStream wrote:One question though - Will you put the boat on poppets and yank the trailer, or just work on the trailer?
I was looking at a picture as I work on a small update to the site about this shelter, and it jogged my memory that I had neglected to answer this.

The boat will stay on the trailer, as you'll see from the photos in the latest update. The trailer provides the best support for the boat, and most of my work will be above the waterline. Should extensive below-waterline work be required at some point, I'll probably block the boat up and remove the trailer.

In update news, I framed the back and front walls of the new shelter. Click here to see the newest update.