tarps that last?

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
petemarkey
Bottom Paint Application Technician

tarps that last?

Post by petemarkey »

I built a "Tim-style" temporary shelter, but instead of wrapping with plastic, I just put a giant tarp on the roof (no issues, with it getting cold here in Atlanta). That was back in January. Of course my project is no where near completion, and the tarp is starting to leak. Should one expect more than 6 months out of regular "blue" tarp from the home center? I am not sure how long the project is going to last. I suppose I should just look at the 80 dollar tarps as consumables and get another one.
petemarkey
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by petemarkey »

and some forums get mad if you don't give em something to look at, so hear you go.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/petemarkey/
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I'd say you were lucky getting 6 months out of it. For the cost of these things, it would be easy to replace every 4 to 6 months.

The thing I hate most about blue tarps though is that when you come out of the blue tarp cave, everything looks orange! :)
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The next step up is the green tarp, and then the silver. I do think you get what you pay for when bumping from one grade to the next. The green and silver are both black (I think) on the underside and far less translucent than the blue.

I have a couple of green ones that are over a year old, I think.
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I dislike the blue tarps for anything that might begin to approach long term use. They break down very quickly and the tattered blue remnants get everywhere.

I like the silver ones. They are more UV resistant and much more solidly built. I've had one outside for a year and it's holding up just fine.

How temporary is the temporary shelter? It may be more cost effective to use the plastic sheeting.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I use a green one for 6 months each winter over a frame. It is just starting to show wear at stress points on the frame by spring. I have seen blue ones on neighboring boats shred by mid winter. I know nothing about the silver ones.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

I've used a silver tarp as a winter cover for a number of years and it is still going strong.
Al Lorman
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

I would suggest the plastic used for silage piles by farmers. I used to use it for covering roofs during construction projects and found it far more durable and waterproof then the blue tarps. It comes in a translucent white which has good light transmission with less heat build up then other colors. Try a farm supply store. you can also get it from greenhouse suppliers just be sure to get the white and not clear unless you want to cook your project.

Brock
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I had a white one over the boom all winter in VA. It was done by the spring but lasted quite well considering.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've never seen any tarp last as long as the silver ones. Not only are they tough and tear-and-wear resistant, but they seem to hold up in the sun. The ones I have been getting are silver on both sides.

Now, I haven't had one out in the weather and sun for years at a time, but I'm using the same silver tarp that I bought in 2001 to cover my boat each winter, and expect to use it for at least another season.

Check out www.tarpsonline.com for a great selection of tarps of all sizes and types. This is where I get my silver tarps.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

I would suggest using green house sheeting. Not the expensive fiber glass stuff, but the poly film that they suggest for 4 years of continuous use. I'm going to use this for my next shelter and since it comes in 50% white (kind of a hazy color, sort of frosted). Can't beat the 8? per foot cost and the available widths that go up past the 40's. Well I'll stop my gabbing and just give you a link. Check out their fiber reinforced stuff too. I'd do that if I had the money.
http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/coverings.htm
I'm sure you could find something more local but its a good start.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

I haven't unfolded it yet, but a few months ago I bought a sheet of vinyl billboard material from a friend. It is tough - and heavy. Anyone else tried a shelter with this stuff? I'll post results when I get going.
BTW, those are nice looking hatches, PeteMarkey.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24