Bow-Frame Boat Barn

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Bow-Frame Boat Barn

Post by Tim »

The bow-frame boat barn/greenhouse style frame is quite popular for temporary (or nearly permanent) shops and boat barns. I'm sure one could come up with the proper arch and template on their own, but Stimson Marine has a template plan that is widely used in the industry:

http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

These make a nice sturdy structure that should be plenty strong for snow loads, etc. If additional height is needed, knee walls can be added at the bottom to raise the height of the arch.

Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here is a nice example of a home-built bow-frame structure. The boat is a 38' Tripp Javelin.

http://www.tritondaysailor.com/boatshedex2.htm

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

These seem to have a really sound basic structure. I bet you could do well by replacing the plastic sheathing with something like that corrugated fiberglass panelling to create something even more durable. Obviously the cost would go up, but you wouldn't have to worry about UV degredation etc....
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The Stimson Shed will probably be my "indoor" storage solution for the deck recore job this winter.

Tim, what was the ridge height of the shed you built for the Glissando restoration? Were you happy with that height, or would you have done it differently the second time?

How about width? I'm thinking 14' (at deck height) should be more than sufficient.... beam plus 3' per side.
Tim

Post by Tim »

My sidewalls were 10' high, and the roof pitch was approximately 4:12, maybe even 3:12. (I'll leave the math to you...)

I could stand easily in the cockpit, but not on the foredeck. I did all my work from staging, so this was a minor inconvenience, height-wise. One has to compromise between the best height and the practicality of the building construction too. For a recore, there's little reason to stand on the decks, so the reduced height is OK. But not so much that you have to crab-walk if you want to go forward on deck. Stooping is OK. When in doubt, go higher and wider. In a boatyard, you probably will run into width problems, though.

14' of width at gunwale height should be fine. 3' of true clearance there is plenty. It's about what I had. If you can eke out another foot, do so.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating