I'm Envious

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

I'm Envious

Post by JetStream »

Hi Tim. It's not even November yet and its blowing like stink outside right now. My "plastic" barn is slatting all around and besides the blowing apart factor, I know that it will be cold in there until spring. Then in the summer it's too hot. Suuuurrrreee would be nice to have a real barn!!

Congratulations on your nice facility.
Bruce
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Heck, I'd be pleased just to have a nice smooth floor for rolling tools about!

Tim, I predict that your new 2-level pushcart will become your best friend. A mechanic friend of mine has one (don't they all?) that was shiny and new back when the TV show "ER" became popular, and so it was dubbed "The Crash Cart".
When you walk into the garage and see that he has that cart at his hip, you KNOW the vehicle is in trouble!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's amazing what a difference that cheapo cart makes. It's surely not nearly as nice as the more expensive ones that are common in pro shops, but I still like it so much that I think I'm gonna buy a second to dedicate as an epoxy cart (they're only $36).

This barn is better and more useful than I even dreamed. I've gotten more done on the boat in a week than I would have all winter otherwise.

Thanks to all for your interest and comments!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MarkWilme
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Curious

Post by MarkWilme »

Tim , I'm curious - given that both power washing the hull and winterizing the engine are'wet jobs' that you undertake inside the barn - why did you not (or did you) consider a floor drain to a sump with a pump.

Or am I missing something ?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

For one day a year, the complication involved in adding plumbing to the barn was far too much. I'm on a septic system, which is on the opposite side of the property, about as far away as one can get. It would have increased, by substantial factors, the cost of the site work, not to mention required digging up about the entire yard in the process. Destructive, time-consuming, and expensive.

Not worth it for two hours a year of inconvenience. Certain compromises aren't even really compromises.

In another time, in another situation, I would try to add plumbing--both supply and drain. Here, it just didn't matter, given the annoyance the job would have been.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating