Shelter Alternatives?

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
dugong

Shelter Alternatives?

Post by dugong »

a bit offtopic I know but...
Anyone care to share their ideas on more temporary shelters?

I constructed one of PVC piping, anchored in 2x4s bolted to the deck and covered in semi-opaque lightweight plastic sheeting last spring. It was OK for the spring, but in summer (or in fumes) it was unbearable - mostly because it wasn't very strong hence very small.

My boat is positioned such that the driveway (and peoples cars) on one side and household electrical wiring on the other limit the possibility of a freestanding frame built around the boat.

Would a wooden framed structure be worth the effort? To frame that question a bit more I didn't grow up in New England, and still find the weather patterns confusing. In order to paint topsides and deck, does one simply wait for a decent week or is a shelter necessary?

thanks in advance
David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

David,

Your post isn't the least bit off topic--it's exactly the sort of dialogue I was hoping for. There are many different solutions in the project shelter arena, from permanent barns like the one I am considering, to pre-manufactured portable buildings, to home-built structures of every shape and size.

Whether or not you build a more "permanent" temporary shelter depends on so many factors that each case is entirely individual. However, there are a few points to consider in the thought process.

1. You can paint your boat without a shelter, though a shelter will undoubtedly be more convenient during this long, ardous process. There are no guarantees for a perfect week of weather--though they do happen, of course. While you still wouldn't want to paint inside most temporary shelters in the driving rain or high humidity conditions, you could at least do prep work, or other work that you would not be able to without the enclosure.

2. Without a shelter, you have to concern yourself with even minute changes in the weather; nothing will ruin your day, and your fresh paint job, more than one of our classic New England "wait a minute" weather changes. All it takes is a light rain shower, gusty wind, or other minor annoyance to make you wish you were painting inside some sort of structure.

3. Clear plastic, as you have already seen, makes the shelter far too hot in the summer if you're in direct sunlight. For the same reasons, clear plastic is a great choice for winter work, since on decent sunny days the temperature inside can climb to very workable levels, throughout the winter.

4. Shade is very important when painting hulls and decks. Direct sunlight will almost assuredly cause your paint to kick too quickly, likely leaving brush marks and poor leveling. Safety from the wind is a related concern--direct contact with the wind will evaporate the solvents out of the paint quickly, causing it to set up faster than it would otherwise. Again, this can lead to poor leveling and visible brush marks. Painting inside a protected, shaded structure will help you overcome these problems more easily.

5. Of course, all this depends on how perfect a job you are going for--everyone has their own standards. Some paints are more susceptible to these problems than others, too. But in general, the existence of a structure will almost certainly be helpful to your efforts.

Obviously, space constraints on your project site factor in greatly here. But the general qualities of any building will likely be a boon to your project progress.

Tim