Major Barn Progress

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Major Barn Progress

Post by Tim »

What a difference a day makes...

9 hours' work with a crane sure works wonders. Details coming in this week's log.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

Post by manos »

Oh Tim, I envy you and all our friends here that have the space to have their boats on their backyards. I'm a big city guy, living in an apartment. I have to travel 30-40 minites to go to Efaki. Now that I re-engine the boat (again in three years) I had to move the boat to a marina where I pay 11 euros a day (almost 11$) and travel a further 30 minites to go there after my job at 5pm untill 7:30pm that the marina hardground closes and I have to leave.
So yes, I envy you Tim and our good friends here, and now with your beautiful boat barn that you'll be able to work more on the boat I hope that you 'll make us envy you more for a nice outcome of the daysailor and further enchancements of the Glisando. Nice job Tim.

P.S.: I have to move out the big city I think.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Boat Barn

Post by Shark »

I have to second Manos' comments.

When I had my first Shark I was able to store it in my backyard on its trailer thereby facilitating spring and fall chores and reducing my cost of operation. I now have another Shark, complete with trailer, but I have no where to store it at my present house. Therefore, like Manos, and I suspect most sailboat owners, I have to pay to have my boat hauled, stored and launched according to someone else's schedule. I also have to travel back and forth to the boat yard to work on it, which means having to plan ahead and pack the car with everything you think you might need, inevitably leaving something important at home in the basement.

You're living the dream, man! Way to go! Congratulations.

Lyman
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Windows, a roof, wiring.... it's a Building!

Looking great, Tim.
Those windows are the cat's ass.

Hey, have you given any thought to a finish for the concrete floor? Specifically, I suggest epoxy paint, but as I write this I realize that you may not be able to pull that off in time to store boats for this winter..... Your slab will have been curing for only 7 (?) weeks at your 10/8 haulout date, and I think most epoxy floor systems reccommend 8 or 12 weeks prior to application. but I may be wrong.

I digress.... concrete sealer? These products don't brighten the space the way the epoxy paints do, but they'll at least prevent the surface of the concrete from constantly/slowly emitting that fine powdery dust.

just thoughts.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I like the windows so much that I think it's probably a foregone conclusion that I will be installing the five in the back wall, too. (Gee, probably no one saw that coming, huh.)

Sealing or coating the concrete floor would be nice, but I don't see it happening, unfortunately. There's too much left to be done, and not enough time to have the floor off limits for cure time, etc. I find that with frequent sweeping, and continual curing, concrete floors tend to self polish over time, so it'll be OK.

I expect to be insulating and/or building doors this weekend. The roof is finally finished, and a big load of materials is coming later today. (Friday, 9/19)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, Tim. When you said that you might only install three windows I only said "Yeah, that'd be a good idea" to humor you. I knew better! hehe