Shaft dimple necessity

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Shaft dimple necessity

Post by Figment »

(refer to "Sometimes it's just so easy" thread)

I was wondering aloud how much thrust an Atomic 4 could realistically generate to necessitate a dimple in the propshaft for the setscrew at the engine coupling....

I'd say it's necessary.

When I first installed the shaft, I cranked down on the setscrew (bolt) pretty well. I didn't really go to town on it, because for the past few years I've been consciously trying to break my bad overtightening habit. Still, I'd say I gave it plenty of oomph.

I had loosely (I thought) fit the prop onto the shaft at the time just to check clearances, etc. Yesterday I went to remove the prop and it wouldn't budge. I knew I hadn't put it on that well, so I did the big no-no and gave the hub a few easy whacks with a hammer, expecting it to pop free.

The prop didn't budge, but the SHAFT was moving aft out of the coupling!!!

My shaft has a dimple now.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tsk tsk. Hit the prop with a hammer. Tsk tsk.

Nobody on this list would ever do anything like that.... ;-P

Yup. Sure is amazing how tenaciously those props hold on to the shaft! Getting mine off was a nightmare and a half...