1966 Bristol 29 Mast Step Interior Update - Prepared to Dive In….Well Soon

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Eidolon
Boat Type: Bristol 29

1966 Bristol 29 Mast Step Interior Update - Prepared to Dive In….Well Soon

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hello All Plastic Classics Cap’ns!!!

I’m new to posting on this forum.
I have a 1966 Bristol 29 that I am preparing to bring home to begin an interior update and also address a soft area in the foredeck and possibly shoring up the mast step support, I too see a deflection in the deck near the step/base. I’m pretty sure I first noticed this shortly after having my rigging tuned and checked by professional tuner.

I’ve just about finished a trailer to haul her home… I think I’ve mucked around washing my boat for the last time in a boatyard for a while. I’m thrilled about setting up my carpentry shop and having everything at hand to work on my boat from home. This will be something very new for me, not schlepping tools and materials to the boat yard which is 40 minutes away.

She has been Awlgripped and all mechanical systems restored or upgraded, New rigging a little bit heavier chain plates and stainless vent cowls,All Z Spars spars, Harken roller furling, shaft, new prop, up-to-date pulpit, Tides track, I fully battoned main sail that’s loose footed which I just have played around with, cockpit deck hatch (P&E) with dogs (WOOF)which opens allowing me to sit down inside beside the engine which was very convenient while I was working on the engine, learning about it and getting it updated.
I still have the A4 and it has been Upgraded to fresh water water cooled, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, fuel filtration, New exhaust elbow new water lift muffler repositioning exhaust line to name a few things.

So hopefully I’ll hear back from some of you! 😊
I’ve scoured the mast base discussion here already.

I was a friend of David Browne, very much miss his support and input, but his B-29 restoration site has been and still is of importance for me through the restoration process of my sailboat. Thankfully all the work he did to Sally B his B29 was very thoroughly documented so his legacy continues! It’s a great site for any information around the restoration process for the Bristol 29.

OK, I will post as I get moving on the projects after I finally get her home which will happen possibly the end of this month or first week of December.

Cheers!!!

Elizabeth
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Bristol 29 Mast Step Interior Update - Prepared to Dive In….Well Soon

Post by CapnK »

Hi Elizabeth, and Welcome aboard!

Sounds like your B29 is set up very nicely indeed!

For my Ariel, I had a strongback structure (for the interior) and a mast base/tabernacle welded up out of aluminum tubing, the work was done by a guy who makes tuna towers for sportsfishing boats.

The interior support uses 3" round tubing, looks like a giant Pi symbol - two legs and a curved crossbar at top to meet the overhead.

The Tabernacle uses rectangular but rounded aluminum tubing, welded down to a flat bar base. The legs for either side of the mast have a smaller piece of the same tubing welded in down low to a near 45* angle for support. Although I intend to go to a junk rig, I may wind up running her as a sloop for a while beforehand using this setup.

Short of going as far as that, if your strongbqck is not broken, then sistering it with metal seems to work well. Just remember to jack up the deck into the proper shape *first*, in order to get a nice fair curve to the overhead for both esthetic and structural purposes.

Keep us posted, sounds like you will have a nice setup for the upcoming work!

:)
Kurt
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Eidoloneliz23
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Eidolon
Boat Type: Bristol 29

Re: 1966 Bristol 29 Mast Step Interior Update - Prepared to Dive In….Well Soon

Post by Eidoloneliz23 »

Hi Kurt!
Thanks for the welcome!
I have a trailer that’s almost finished and I’m going to bring her home to do the interior and investigate the mast support. Your ideas are appreciated I’ll start posting when I get her on her new trailer at home.

Elizabeth