Replacing the sheerclamp

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Pionier
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Vinifera
Boat Type: Van de stadt - Pionier

Replacing the sheerclamp

Post by Pionier »

Hi Y'all, we need to replace or sheerclamps on our 30ft sailing yacht (Pionier 9 / van de stadt) as a big part of them is rotting. I'm desperately searching for documentation, books or videos on this subject.
In my own language I cannot seem to find any info about it, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction over here for getting the information in English . (as English isnt my native language, please tell me if I got the names/words wrong, so I can learn the right ones. Thank you!)
Attachments
IMG_20220215_192540.jpg
IMG_20220215_192527.jpg
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Replacing the sheerclamp

Post by atomvoyager »

Welcome. Maybe someone here with experience in this repair will reply but you may have better luck posting this question at:
https://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/

I haven't done this particular job but I'm sure I (or you) could figure it out if on the boat after removing a short section that is rotted by pulling out any fasteners and carefully cutting out the damage, maybe using an oscillating cutting tool or angle grinder. Then I'd inspect exactly how the deck to hull joint and sheer clamp was built and see what caused the rot. Once that is done, a repair can be made that is as good or better than new. Although it would be a helpful shortcut, you don't really need advice from a book or video on how someone else did this job. If you don't find what you need on the other forum, you can post a photo and description here of what you find after cutting a sample area out and I can try to guide you on repairs.
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Here's a post about a member here replacing a rotted section of his sheerclamp:
https://plasticclassicforum.com/forum/v ... amp#p52822
Pionier
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Vinifera
Boat Type: Van de stadt - Pionier

Post by Pionier »

Thank you so much for the reply! I will check the other place out. I think we need to replace the whole beam, not just a section of it. But maybe I'm wrong, and the rot is only in a few places. It doesn't seem to be a standard practice as I cannot find anything on it :) so I think I will try as you said. Do you know anything about strong connections? Like if I cut out a piece, I cannot just put another piece in there butt to butt right? With pressure I can imagine it would be weak at that point.
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I frequently make reinforcements to weak areas on boats. Your sheerclamp rot can be patched in pieces to reinforce - it doesn't need to be one continuous piece because the strength will come from the overlapping fiberglass and epoxy resin that goes on top.