Mast winch bases and seacocks

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Mast winch bases and seacocks

Post by lsheaf »

Hey folks,

I’ve added a new boom from US spars which utilizes a completely different reefing method than before - outhaul and reefing lines are all run internally of the boom. I believe I will need to add an additional winch to the mash for ease. Seldom makes a fancy mast winch base for 90-100 bucks but I feel as though there are more cost effective alternatives. Does anyone know of anything on the market?

Also, is there a “right” type of seacock/thru-hull installation? I can either buy a true bronze seacock with the triangular base that bolts through the hull or buy a thru-hull and a respective ball valve. Im sure a true seacock with triangle base would be strongest but can I get away with thru-hulls and ball valves for offshore work?

Logan
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Re: Mast winch bases and seacocks

Post by lsheaf »

Okay I think I answered my own questions after today. I reviewed one of you videos I found on YouTube installing new seacocks on the Nicholson 30... get the seacocks with flanged base.

As for the winch base I think a piece of aluminum u-channel cut down to proper height, width, thickness to accommodate the specific winch dimensions.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Mast winch bases and seacocks

Post by atomvoyager »

I was going to mention my video on seacocks. I may not have mentioned in the video but you can make your own backing blocks if you don't want to buy the overpriced Groco version, but they are labor saving. There are many boats out there with ball valves screwed on to mushroom thru-hulls but not considered best practice because they can break off and/or corrode and fall off. Above the waterline is not so bad though.

For mast mount, US Spars does sell nice aluminum bases which I bought direct from them in Gainesville, FL. You can see them in my video Converting Fractional to Masthead Rig – Triton Osprey Refit Part 18 at 15:00 minutes at the link below. They may not fit well on a boom though. For that I've used teak or starboard-type plastic and shaped the contour with a 36 grit pad on an angle grinder to match the boom or mast contour but it's a bit of work so the aluminum angle is easier.

https://atomvoyages.com/videos/