Good books on wiring

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
OverTheReef
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Affinity
Boat Type: Bristol 26

Good books on wiring

Post by OverTheReef »

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for books on wiring sailboats. I'd like to start rewiring my Bristol 26 this year, since a previous owner decided to locate most of the wiring loosely in the bilge (under the companionway step). I've watched James' video on rewiring multiple times, and I'd like to learn a bit more about planning a good system before I dive in.
Attachments
20190330_162327.jpg
Joe
1970 Bristol (Sailstar) 26
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Good books on wiring

Post by atomvoyager »

I don't own a 12v electrical system book I can recommend but possibly something like Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Don Casey would be useful. It has mixed reviews and may be out of date on things like LED lighting but could be a good foundation for you to learn from. Check the Look Inside feature of the book on amazon and see what you think. There are also recommended books listed under Casey's book, such as Boatowner’s Illustrated Electrical Handbook. It's probably too complicated for your needs though. Again, check the Look Inside and read the reviews.
The problem with these books is they are not tailored to a small, simple boat like yours and it's not easy for the author to guess what specific things you need and don't need in your electrical system. I had the same issue when making my YT video on basic 12v sailboat wiring, plus limited time. You may do better searching websites for answers to specific questions you have. After seeing my video, you have an idea of the basic system as I do it so maybe you can post here a list of follow-up questions that I can answer to get you started.