Pearson Triton hull to deck joint

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
HinduKush
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Hindukush
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Pearson Triton hull to deck joint

Post by HinduKush »

I have been looking at my hull to deck joint. There is a section with unwetted glass fabric bunched up. I will trim with the oscillating saw. I also wanted to reinforce the whole joint without going outside and overlapping and then fairing outside deck and hull. I was wondering if I filled that cavity on the inside with thickened epoxy. (or just thickened epoxy layed up with Matt glass?) in that cavity to fill it up to strengthen the joint to a radius on the inside. Then it will be more of a radius and the fabric will lay better with deck inside and sides of the hull. I also was thinking I could use the scrap cut off plywood to make small gussets to stage out along that joint on the inside to help make it stiffer and well binded to hull and deck? I can only think maybe the deck hardware mounting may be an issue because of thickness or gusset placement if I am not careful with the build up. Any thoughts? Also does anyone have a schematic of how the deck joint is on the Triton. I looked and didn't find any info specific to the Triton.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Re: Pearson Triton hull to deck joint

Post by atomvoyager »

I don't have any drawing of it but it seems to me to just be a flangeless butt joint at the point where the exterior rubbing strake is. I know of at least one Triton owner that filled the entire toe rail inside with foam of some type and glassed over it to tie in the deck to hull. Seems like an excellent way to make it more wave proof during a knockdown or collision but also a big job. I would not fill the toe rail with anything heavy or expensive like thickened resin though. Seems like you are talking about just a partial fill which might work alright. But it's crazy hard to sand and prepare and glass that long cavity. I don't see a problem with deck hardware because you will know about the placement of the knees or gussets in relation to the hardware such as jib sheet tracks, cleats, stanchions and such. If you do this and tie the existing bulkheads to the joint better with fiberglass then you don't need anything further like adding knees. Or you could add some knees instead of filling the toe rail and leave it at that.
HinduKush

Post by HinduKush »

I bought a wire wheel for my drill to hit that area recessed under the toe rail to sand it back. Will let you know how that turns out because some areas I will be limited.

If you would think gussets would work that may be a viable option. Plus a lot easier. I was thinking I could make them vee shape then add a rounded up part into the recessed area under the toe rail. Use the jigsaw to cut left over plywood. What would you think a good spacing would be for the gussets? I also liked the foam Idea and then glass over the top.

I appreciate the input thank you.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Post by atomvoyager »

On my own boat I approached it differently by ensuring each bulkhead, chainplate knee and cabinetry that reached the deck was glassed in properly to support the hull deck joint. The only long section between supports is inside the two side cockpit lockers and they are watertight lockers so if the joint cracked open there, any flooding would be contained. Might be a good idea to add two gussets there spaced about two feet apart or anywhere else with more than say a three foot long unsupported area. Starting at the bow on Atom I have the following supports: watertight chain locker bulkhead, v-berth bookshelf partition, forward chainplate knee, mast support bulkhead, aft shroud knee, salon/head bulkhead, salon shelf partition, dish locker partition to stbd (radio locker partition to port), forward partition to cockpit lockers, outboard well watertight bulkhead. You can see most of them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhiAT2 ... e=youtu.be
HinduKush

Post by HinduKush »

Thank you again.