removed all gelcoat above waterline or mostly

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Windcall
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Windcall
Boat Type: Alberg 30 1969 Hull 397

removed all gelcoat above waterline or mostly

Post by Windcall »

I have an Alberg 30 I am restoring.. Winters I am inside and summer working the outer hull.
This boat had extensive crazing. The surveyor look at the area I sanded down to gel coat and we both came to the belief its dry. Gelcoat So in an effort to stop the cracks from coming through the new paint. I have mostly removed the Gelcoat in some areas pretty much to fiber in most areas now its is just so thin a Gelcoat that you can see the grey of the fiberglass behind. 80 percent of the crazing cracks are pretty much gone. there are however some very light cracks that can be seen. when looking close.

Any thoughts and ideas should I continue and remove most or all... of the Gelcoat. Speaking with Interlux a few times. I get varying thoughts. No one there at inter lux I've spoken to don't know if this thin of Gelcoat crack would print through 5 coats of 2000e. then the topcoat. No one won't say it will no one will say it won't.

Wondering if anyone has any practical experience or thoughts in this regard. I am not replacing the Gelcoat. Above the waterline at all. The Gelcoat below the water line underneath about 6 coat of barrier that I can count from alternating colors and crazy thick ablative paint is fine. So boot stripe and above it is now history. Comments are appreciated if anything other than re Gelcoat it, as that is not happening. one last note.. the areas with the worst crazy was in areas that turned out to be so bloody thick Gelcoat.

Interlux guys all pretty much said to use this process. Any impact crazing clear to fiberglass assess and if fiberglass structure and not severely damage lay a 6oz fiberglass over the area and use West 105 resin on it sand fair.

Then a slightly thinned coat of 2000e Then about 5 coats of Barrier regular. Then topcoat of choice.
I spent a lot of time and cussing but the current condition of the hull is very smooth and even. Almost feels as if the Gelcoat is on it other than the areas were I have to fix some slight impact areas. in the undamaged areas, I have faired any low areas and longboarded above the waterline. Just explaining exactly where I am at.

Sorry for the long-winded post.. but thank you for your ideas and comments
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: removed all gelcoat above waterline or mostly

Post by atomvoyager »

I've repainted boats with gelcoat crazing and have never attempted to sand them all out. There are people that do so I suppose that's where you got the idea. Yes, impact and stress cracks should be sanded out and patched similar to how you described but the crazing from weathering, shrinkage, or poor gelcoat mix at the factory usually can be covered successfully with epoxy coatings such as 2000e and then regular two part epoxy primer. By the way, sanding the 2000e fair is easier within one day after application in warm weather. It gets rock hard after that.