Termites...

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Termites...

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys, I’ve been replacing some bulkheads and structural components on my boat and last night after heavy rainfall I found about 6 worker termites crawling around. I’m really concerned they’re going to start attacking the new wood. Everything was coated in epoxy but many pieces have been screwed into, so they’re not 100 percent sealed. Does anyone have any recommendations moving forward?

Logan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Termites...

Post by atomvoyager »

Maybe someone with more knowledge can reply. Meanwhile, if the new wood is epoxy sealed I don't see them getting into it through screw holes filled with screws. There may be some older wood they are living in or there just on the hunt for a home at this point. You might be able to kill them with some insecticide but only if they haven't nested within the wood yet. After they are in it the only way I know that works is to have the boat tented and fumigated. I had a friend with a 29-footer that had them eating through the bulkheads for a couple years and the tent killed them. It was the same people who take care of termites in houses.