Chain Plate Knees and Chainplate Angles.

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Windcall
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Windcall
Boat Type: Alberg 30 1969 Hull 397

Chain Plate Knees and Chainplate Angles.

Post by Windcall »

Atom, Thank you for all your help,

I just installed new v berth shelves and am cutting plywood for knees for chainplates, The ones I took out, looked like one 3/4" ply plus one 1/2" ply and fiberglassed in... so the whole wood knee was 1 1/4. It had about 1/4 of fiberglass wrapped around it.

I have made (2) 3/4 ply's to laminate together. Is this thick enough for knees, or should I up it to 2". I have lowered the shelve from the 6 1/2 tall to 10 1/2" tall. Also I am putting on the chain plate side a 1/4" laminate same size as the knee over the ply so that would make a total of 1 3/4" chain plate knee.

The second problem I have is the old chainplate knees were thrown away by a family member and I now have no idea what angle the chain plates need to be coming out of the deck. I can sort of guess on a couple by the direction of the hole through the deck but that will go away as soon as i start repairing the core around the exit hole. Is there a way to estimate or get a degree approx that the chainplates are from vertical on your boat.. should be about the same no? or is a good guess enough lol. I put a long strip of 1 1/2 x 1/4 thru the chain plate hole to get a angle that it probably was, if I mirror this on both sides is that a good guess or what do I do..

Any advice or direction you can give me would be appreciated.