What is leaking out of my boat?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

What is leaking out of my boat?

Post by svMira »

This picture is looking forward at the starboard cockpit hatch rail.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EZmyfYeTyki4KiBa6
What is leaking out of my boat? That is such a bizarre shade of yellow for it to be rust. And, I don't know what else could be causing staining like that.

(Posting even though the pic isn't showing up. I'll search the forum to figure out how to link to pics properly.)
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Re: What is leaking out of my boat?

Post by CharlieJ »

the pic shows if you click the link.. And I have no idea
Windcall
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Windcall
Boat Type: Alberg 30 1969 Hull 397

Re: What is leaking out of my boat?

Post by Windcall »

I know this is an old post, but thought i would throw some possibilities out there. I have had some similar type things on a boat in the past.
This is a hatch rail attached to the deck Secured by Stainless Steel screws or bolts. Ingredients: Teak, Stainless Steel, Fiberglass ( possibly core within the deck) Balsa core? Polyester? Past possibilities use of Cetol ? Linseed Oil? Teak Oil?

These are the possibilities i see. Often Teak can absorb stains oils and as the teak drys they can and often are absorbed deeper into the wood if the woods interior is softer than the exterior wood forming sort of pools. I am thinking that the area were the stain is strongest is the area in question. I am betting there is a stainless screw at that point under the slide rail.
Stainless steel at this location and possible teak area rich in some sort of oil. Oil and stainless in a area the stainless screws has allowed the passage of oil into the deck and possible core, Is probably responsible for this. If the deck is wet in the core in this area or even if its solid layup, the possibility of a chemical reaction is more than probable in this location.

I encountered a similar spot like this on my 1976 27 Cheribini Hunter. One location had a yellowish area such as this, and in another location a blush similar stain. Being the detailed person I can be sometimes, I removed my handrails to investigate.
Even to the point of cutting my deck back a small amount because the yellowish and the bluish stains were coming from the holes in both the teak rail and the top of the deck.

There was some slight damage to the core and rot at the screw points of the teak screw holes. The Core had a blush tint and the yellow orange-ish location had the same stain in the core and the screw point. Looking at the screws they were corroded. I later determined they were not good grade stainless or not pure stainless.

No matter the exact cause if it continues to happen after cleaning it off the deck or if you feel its something you an cope with I would bet there is something here that needs some minor repair. Removing the slide rail and see if the screw is there and possibly removing the teak rail to look at is not very hard to do. If you feel confident to repair such. I would tap the area with a small finish nail hammer to see if you can reveal any soft spots in that area.

Just a thought but just eliminating and opening possibilities.