Cold weather paining

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Bill A

Cold weather paining

Post by Bill A »

I am in the process painting my boat with Interlux brightsides. These days I can keep the temperature in my garage at about 60 deg F. My first attempt brushing came out mostly good, however I had quite a few brush marks and a few small runs. I think the cold temperature is affecting the viscosity and brushability. It seems to be going on thick and not flowing, unless it goes on really thick and then runs. Due to the cold temperature I was hesitant to add the brushing (slow evap) thinner. It takes quite a while to dry as it is, unthinned.

Does anyone have comments/suggestions on cold weather painting?
I might try the regular thinner on the next coat.

Thanks
-Bill
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Typically, you need to thin the paint more in the cold to allow it to flow better. Thinned paint, because of its higher solvent load, should actually cure faster than unthinned. 60 degrees is more than adequate for painting and curing, and you should be able to thin the paint to reduce or eliminate your brush strokes and improve leveling. Give it a try; your brush should not bind in the paint when spreading it if the thinner amount is appropriate.

You do want to beware of overthinning the paint, which will reduce the gloss of the final finish. Experimentation will tell you what the proper amount is.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
DEE

painting

Post by DEE »

Hi Bill I am about to try the same thing myself.I am going to wait until spring.I have never seen it applied with a brush ,only heard about it.Very interested in your results,keep in touch. thanks
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Does airborne moisture (relative humidity) have an effect on the flow of these paints?

It's mighty humid in the PNW this time of year, I'm told.