Mast winch backing pad

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Mast winch backing pad

Post by svMira »

What do you use for a mast winch backing pad?
I bought a little #6 to put on my mast, but there is the obvious difference between the curve of the mast and the flat of the winch base. I haven't quite had the 'aha!' moment yet of what the right thing is to use.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Mast winch backing pad

Post by atomvoyager »

Cast aluminum pads come on different sizes from Selden and from US Spars:

http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/m ... leats.html

Last year I bought two medium size winch pads #1077 from US Spars in FL to use on a Triton mast with #6 winches. I don't see them in the catalog but you can phone them:

https://www.usspars.com/products/

They were pricey at around $60 each retail. In the past I've made my own out of teak. I cut a piece of paper to match the mast curve and traced it onto the teak block then shaped it with a #36 grit pad on an angle grinder. Best to make one first out of pine to work out the mistakes. User a block that is a bit thicker than you want to end up with because inevitably you keep grinding further to get a good shape until it's too thin. You could also make it out of wood other than teak and varnish or paint it.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

The Seldon ones in the link tilt down. How necessary is that? I'm pretty sure the one on my Tanzer 22 was just perpendicular to the mast.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

The angled base is good to help prevent overrides. When I made my own I didn't bother making them angled but sometimes you have to consciously tail the halyard at an angle to keep it from fouling so angled would be better.