Alberg 30 chain plate move

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 chain plate move

Post by illinois »

Has anyone moved their Alberg 30 chain plates outboard?

I am working on my liner Alberg over the next 5 years before retirement and have lots of time. My Compac 23 has outboard chain plates that I replaced and it is nice to have the clear deck and easy access to the chain plates plus the deck penetrations removed. I will be doing deck recording this summer so now is the time to do it.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Alberg 30 chain plate move

Post by svMira »

I've been wondering about this as well. Figured if mine would need rebuilding, whether or not it was worthwhile to move them outboard.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by illinois »

I have been reading people commenting about exterior chain plates affecting performance. I don't know if this would be a big deal or not. My biggest concern with the existing chain plates is the inspection of the knees. They are wrapped in fiberglass so it is difficult to know their condition. I have seen some owners of different models kerf some G10 and epoxy and glass that to the hull for the new location to bolt through. They also went to bronze chain plates.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I did that on my Meridian 25. No more deck leaks, no more toe stubbers on deck and have been completely happy with it. been almost 12,000 miles now