Moving my Galley - Interior Remodel

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Moving my Galley - Interior Remodel

Post by svMira »

My Wanderer comes with the common side galley configuration and I really don't like it. It takes up a lot of valuable space for lounging and being in the cabin and I can't stand up for much of the forward half of that length. I'd really like to go to a layout more like the Pearson 30. I hope to move my galley into the port quarter-berth area and open up the space where it is now as a settee.
One of my challenges is that I have one of the last boats, so I have the full liner. This should be interesting. It'll end up being a mix of modifying the liner and removing large parts of it (the port quarter berth).

Since I am building in new interior parts:
* Are there any good rules of thumb for what part of the build gets installed permanent and what part gets installed in a removable fashion?
* I know what I want to do for any surfaces/trim that I want to finish bright, but what are the options for panel/sheet work that I want painted?
* Any recommendations for hardware, such as best handles/latches/door catches? Many of my doors have finger holes and they scare me when my boat isn't moving, never mind when it is.

Marvin
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Moving my Galley - Interior Remodel

Post by markwesti »

Your boat , plus the mod you want .
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/wanderer-30-pearson

Well that would be a lot of work , I say go for it . For removing the hull liner and tabbing in a low bulkhead I would be careful . On our boat some of the galley walls are held in place with a bracket and not fully attached to the hull why this is I don't know but somewhere I remember a guy tabbing in a bulkhead and it caused stress to the hull and you could see it from outside the boat , but you won't be attaching to the overhead so I don't think it will be a problem .
I like bright , but some stuff on our boat is painted and I like to use Pettit Brightsides it's a single part paint but you do have to thin it .
For latches we have the mouse holes too . For a latch that I really like , there is a type that fits flush in the hole and when you push on it , it pops out and then you pull it to open .
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Marvin - Tell you what - I'll straight up swap you my entire A-30 aft galley interior for your P-30 side galley config. Save us both a bunch of work. :mrgreen: lol

On my Ariel, I bought a bunch of 1x4" cheap pine planks and used those along with pieces of ply cut from the interior, made *everything* temporary, trying every different combination of interior that I could think of tho maximize and at the same time 'comfortize' the space. Small enclosed head aft by companionway, high/low dinette (to see or not out the deadlights when seated, more shoulder room when 'not' and low...), athwartships berth in main area, head forward, galley forward , etc etc... It is a quick easy cheap way to 'play' with the space. I would set it up and live with it for several months, and then try something different. It was a good experiment, and worked - I'd recommend you try it before "permanenting" anything. 8-)

Re: panels - if you like beadboard there is some neat PVC foam product out now that is easy to work with and has a 'finished finish' that can be painted or not, and would be low maintenance as-is. My only wonder with it is how much would the skinny little lines promote mold growth in certain climates. Would probably need a fairly regular wipedown with a vinegar-soaked rag, but none other than that.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
svMira
Master Varnisher

Post by svMira »

I was thinking the same kind of temp thing. Not settled on just how large I want the galley portion to be. I'm quite enjoying my rather unlimited engine access right now. Don't know how far inboard to put the sink and drain. Considering that I have an offset hatch, I can have it come in quite a bit, but then in starts to get into the area above the engine. I can't imagine having just the access that I see the full aft galley guys have. But I haven't seen real good pics of what the inside of the lazarette looks like. (... Avery, got any pics?)
The real catch is the thing I really want is the settee/bunk to starboard. Which means giving up my entire galley/counter space. Not that big of a deal, as my original factory alcohol cooker is fubar. So I've been living off a portable butane 1-burner. That's been working just fine. Don't do much work at the galley anyways. Really just get all the stuff out and deal with making food sitting at the table.
svmira.ca
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

Hi Marvin-sadly no interior pics of the lockers or laz area. The access on Wanderers with an aft galley doesn't seem too bad. My current boat is that way as well and really the only problem is accessing the aft end of the engine, which I can still do somewhat easily through the cockpit lockers. I just have to get fully inside and lie down and I can get to everything, which is more or less how it was on the Wanderer. With regards to construction, I'd say that nothing that isn't structural should be permanently installed. I try to make everything removable either non-destructively or semi-destructively. Aside from removing screws, the most I would have to do to dismantle my galley is pry off some things installed with 4200. You never know when you'll want to install a piece of equipment bigger than the biggest opening, or have to access some previously inaccessible part of the hull.

I personally like to use plain white Formica over any plywood surfaces but I know some people think it looks cheap. I like it because it's durable and easy to clean, as well as providing a relatively cheap and easy smooth finished surface.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
svMira
Master Varnisher

Post by svMira »

Do you contact cement the Formica to the plywood or use a different glue? I've had really bad luck with contact cement and end up with bubbles all the time.
svmira.ca
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

I've always used contact cement without an issue. That said, I haven't tried to cover a large surface (just a couple of small counter tops, 1 ft by 3 ft) Do you have one of those rollers for smoothing it?
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
svMira
Master Varnisher

Post by svMira »

Not a good proper heavy one. And, I never did the dowel thing, where you stick them in between and lower it on slowly, pulling the dowels out. Just did the line it up and roll the Formica down onto the piece in one slow go. The last filler board I did, just to close the alcohol stove hole, I just epoxied it. Wasn't going to mess around.
svmira.ca