Alberg 30 v-berth liner removal

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 v-berth liner removal

Post by illinois »

Since the interior liner supports the bulkheads, how has anyone removed the v-berth liner? Did you leave floor pan part in place and reuse part of it or remove it entirely? Any pictures that show what the v-berth looks like after liner removal before reconstruction would be great.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Alberg 30 v-berth liner removal

Post by atomvoyager »

How you remove the v-berth liner depends on what you are trying to achieve. If like me you wanted to replace the original water tank with an integral tank and maximize storage and collision bulkheads then you can cut away most of the liner but leave the walk through portion and sole intact as in the photos below. I cut the liner away flush to the bulkheads and then added glass and plywood as needed to strengthen the area. You can see the finished job at the beginning of the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... T4N1Fx_rvc
The attachment TimA30Vberth02kb143.JPG is no longer available
TimA30Vberth02kb143.JPG
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

The attachment TimA30Vberth03kb133.JPG is no longer available
You can see some of the liner was kept in place where it was a tight fit to the hull and bulkhead and could be sealed along the edges with new glass.
TimA30Vberth03kb133.JPG
illinois
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Tess
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by illinois »

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I was wondering. The pictures show just the information I was wondering about.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

What is the material you built the new V-berth panels out of and how did you finish it?
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I used a cabinet grade of hardwood plywood from either Home Depot or the local lumber supply. Marine ply is better but not really needed for interior projects that are well glassed and sealed from water. Any surfaces with epoxy on them either got coated with 2000E barrier coat or Epoxy Primekote. Inside lockers I usually leave with 2 coats of 2000E but on top I finish with EZ CabinCoat off-white.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

Do you end up glassing the whole surface that is visable, or do you ever have just paint on plywood as a finished surface?
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I only add fiberglass for tabbing the edges or inside water tanks or otherwise if needed for strength. For wet areas I just seal with at least one coat of epoxy resin and two coats 2000E. If it is an area that won't get too wet such as the top of the bunk or cabinetry you can just use primer and paint but is best to use marine ply in that case to ensure moisture doesn't cause the glue within the ply to fail if unsure of the quality of the plywood..