Cetol

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Cetol

Post by markwesti »

Anybody use this stuff ? I use Cetol Light , After the prep all that is needed is 3 coats and you don't have to sand in between coats . I find that a very light sanding before the third coat really helps . Exposed to the sun it doesn't last to much longer than varnish , I get about a year about 3 if it is covered . There is a new type called Cetol Natural it's more like varnish but it has a opaque look to it . I like it but not enough to do a full strip .
ImageDSCF2138 by mark westi, on Flickr
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Cetol

Post by atomvoyager »

After many years of maintaining traditional varnishes I gave up about ten years ago and have been using Cetol Natural Teak on exterior wood. Seems to last about twice as long in mid to low latitudes before needing a maintenance coat. On my own boat I stripped all the exterior varnish and left the teak bare but after 3 years of weathering, the grain is starting to rise so I plan to Cetol it soon.