Blisters @#$%

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Blisters @#$%

Post by markwesti »

This is a subject of much debate , so I'm not by any means going say anything other than this is what works for me . First let me say that our boat was made during the oil embargo and therefore was laid up with questionable resin . Our boat is a 79' and is prone to blisters . When we first got the boat I had them fixed , the guy tried to do it right but he didn't grind out the blisters right , and they came right back He used a 1" drill , that was fast but it was wrong . Also he did a barrier coat that was a waste of time and money , as the blisters were being produced by the lay up not water intrusion . That was back in 95' since then I have been doing it myself . Around 00' my friends helped me and as before we were fallowing the lead of the guy from 95' and got pretty much the same results but we didn't do a barrier coat , both times for filler we used West Systems . So now we are around 05' , did pretty much the same thing as before . Now we are at 10' I switched gears , I hired a guy , long story short I got rid of him for being a jerk , but he could paint a boot stripe , and he turned me onto 3M Marine filler that stuff is awesome for filling moderate sized blisters . 3M also makes some stuff for filling bigger blisters , but I have not used it . OK now 15' , I did everything myself , well I had some friends "help" , but ya'know when you do that your stuck with the dudes and you gotta feed him . Alright I'm pullin' up on the next haul out , how many blisters will have ? I think less as I have noticed less and less over the past 2 times . My method , fair out the blister in tell it's dry and fill with 3M
on Flickr
ImageIMG_3301 by mark westi, on Flickr
The blister from Hades , it was about 3 ' long . This one I had the yard fix as I was pooped out . they did it with regular resin and glass . Who knows what it will be next time .

ImageIMG_3307 by mark westi, on Flickr
By the way the yard I use is Eddie's , Wilmington , Ca.
Image020 by mark westi, on Flickr
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Blisters @#$%

Post by svMira »

That's some pretty serious haul out work.

Thanks for posting 'the rest of the story'. Your other posts gave the impression that it was just all roses. Wasn't quite sure you belong with us fellow plastic classic 'sufferers'. <grin> Quite obviously you've paid your dues.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

YIKES!

I wonder if by now you haven't gotten nearly all of them fixed. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Post by markwesti »

CaptnK I sincerely doubt they will ever be all fixed . Really I would be happy if just not so many show up next time . Next time is a few months away . I have some ambitious plans , blisters of course plus all new thru hulls and sea cocks . I hope Eddies is still there . Eddy passed before I started coming , the remaining family held onto the "yard" and had Lupe (on the left)be the manager and chief crane operator , Chone (on right) is the right hand man . I don't know what the yard will be like next time as Lupe retired and the family sold it . I need to go by and check it out.
ImageDSCF2291 by mark westi, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2319 by mark westi, on Flickr