Spot filling after priming. Do I need to spot prime after fairing/filling?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
southcoasting
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Nova Luna
Boat Type: Tartan 34c

Spot filling after priming. Do I need to spot prime after fairing/filling?

Post by southcoasting »

So I am at the primer sanding phase of my T34c deck recore. I had found a decent amount of small imperfections and pinholes which i have filled in as I see them during the sanding.

Do I need to spot prime after this before i paint? I was not going to since i spent so.much time trying to get the smooth areas smooth and priming over the bare spots and filled spot puts me back ar square one...

What is the general practice for this step?

I am using PPG Amercoat 370 2 part epoxy primer, PPG Amercoat 450 2 part Polyurethane on shiny areas, Total Tread 1 part on nonskid.
20180701_091948.jpg
20180623_100917.jpg
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Spot filling after priming. Do I need to spot prime after fairing/filling?

Post by atomvoyager »

I've painted right over very small pinholes filled with two-part fairing compound with no problem. I've been using Alexseal on the past couple paint jobs and the tech support said it was fine as long as it wasn't a single part filler.
southcoasting
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Nova Luna
Boat Type: Tartan 34c

Re: Spot filling after priming. Do I need to spot prime after fairing/filling?

Post by southcoasting »

Thank you Atomvoyager!

I am all done sanding for the most part...found a few more areas to fill and will be spot priming...then sanding with 320 before spraying this 2 part...

Btw, you know my buddy Fabio, who worked with you for a bit...