New Website

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
boatbuilder.org

New Website

Post by boatbuilder.org »

I have started a new website to explain some of the stitch and glue construction methods I use. I developed the site to help homebuilders with their stitch and glue projects. The site is new and the content in it so far is just a start, and I will continually add more to it. Below is a link to the site if you would like to check it out. Thank you.
---Joel---

Visit .http://www.boatbuilder.org/ for information
and instruction on building stitch and glue boats
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

"Epoxy and Fillers" - what about fairing?

Post by Rachel »

Hi Joel,

Just checked out your website. I'm hoping to find a Triton, yet, lurking in the background, is the urge to have another small-ish power cruiser at some point -- I used to have a MicroTrawler -- or maybe to build a small dinghy or cartoppable rowboat.

I realize that the site is still in the building stage, but I'm curious about this, which you say in the "Epoxy and Fillers" section:
There are many fillers but all you need are two, wood flour and cab-o-sil. I like to mix the two (50/50), which makes a good all-purpose filler. For making fillets and general filling, the wood flour alone will work, and is less expensive, but with cab-o-sil added you will get a filler that spreads much much nicer. For thickening epoxy resin for bonding or cold molding you can use both fillers, the 50/50 mix works great. To thicken epoxy for sealing or flow coating I only use cab-o-sil.

As I have said, there are many products available, but in an effort to simplify the buying and building process, I am suggesting just the products needed to build a stitch and glue design.
What do you use for fairing? I always thought you needed something like microballoons. Can you use wood flour? Or are you making a distinction between "building" and "finishing"?

Also, what process led you to settle on MAS epoxies as your favorite? I've tried West, used a bunch of System Three, and recently bought some MAS but have yet to use it for more than just a small hole-filling project. I'm always interested in what people have to say about different epoxies, since its one of these (at least for me) "mystery" components. What I mean is, it's not like wood, where you can just look at it and see what you have. Maybe more like paint, where you rely on hearing about others' experiences, manufacturer reputation, and, perhaps, your own trials.

--- Rachel
boatbuilder.org

Post by boatbuilder.org »

I like the low vicosity aspect of MAS resin. At the time I started using MAS, they were the ones offering the thinner resin and I think it is much easier to use. I also like the no blush slow hardener. You can always thicken epoxy, but you can not thin it. I did use System Three and WEST prior to that and I liked the MAS better. Structurally they are all fine an the others may now offer comparable products but why switch when what you have works. Whatever you are comfortable with, use it.
Microballoons: The whole "epoxy page" is an attempt to simplify using epoxy by eliminating stuff you do not need. For a novice builder it can be intimidating when faced with the list of products that these companies have so I cut the list down. Yes I do use some microballons for fairing and it is easier to use than wood flour. I do almost all of my fairing with the wood before it ever sees glass.
---Joel---
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I tried thinning some West Systems epoxy once. Heated it a bit on the top of the shop wood stove. It thinned it alright, but on my way up the ladder into the boat I noticed smoke coming off my rubber glove holding the tin. Wow, it was solid in no time. A waste, but a valuble learning experience!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Reminds me of when I was working on my old Laser. I had the bow sticking out of my garage, and was working just inside the shadow line (It was August). I had just mixed a larger pot of epoxy and set it on deck near my work area. I had to get up and get a tool from my workbench, when I came back and tried to pick up the pot I just about burnt my fingers! The paint on the deck below the pot of now hardening epoxy actually bubbled up.

Learning Experiences, ain't they greeeeat!
Tony