Interior painting

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Interior painting

Post by Peter »

I'm looking at my interior liner, with all it's filled holes, stains, and general wear and tear, and am wondering what I can paint it with that will hide as much as possible. I've filled all the holes and sanded it, and I'm thinking of a not too glossy paint that will roll on with a bit of texture to look half decent.

Has anyone experience in this area? Any and all input welcome!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I painted my liner with Brightsides polyurethane. In hindsight, it's a bit glossier than might be ideal, though it doesn't bother me because we toned it down with the addition of wood blinds on the sides.

I used some "regular" marine enamel semi-gloss paint (Interlux) on the beadboard that I used for the overhead in the Daysailor, and I love the look. It has a hint of shine, but is not so glossy as to highlight various undulations and unfairness. I think this would be an excellent choice for a smooth fiberglass liner.

Be sure to thin the paint appropriately to avoid brush marks. You could use this paint with some sort of texture if you wanted--you could probably use a thick roller to apply it and leave the stipple, but I'd think an experiment would be in order first.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

You can also use the flattening agent with the Brightsides for a semi-gloss look. That's what I did for the beadboard that I applied on the bulkheads in the head area on Dasein.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hey ... How did I get "Bottom Sanding Grunt" posted under my name? I finished that part weeks ago ;)

Anyway, the interior is a combination of smooth and textured surfaces. I can handle smooth surface restoration, but where holes have been filled on the textured overhead I'm left with many little smooth patches.

I'm probably being too fussy. When I get launched I'll probably never give it another thought, whatever I end up covering it with.... Probably....

The idea of using a dulled-down paint and a roller appeals to me. I think I'll try some tests. I wonder if it's worth trying an exterior-type house paint that contains a mildew retardent?

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

What kind of texture did your existing liner have that you're trying to match? I'm trying to picture it.
Peter

Interior painting

Post by Peter »

Ah ... here is when I have to confess: it's not a Triton ... it's a San Juan 24. It's sort of a low key 'stippled' finish right in the gel coat ... almost like a non-skid deck surface.

It would be quite a lot of work to grind off, and the result would not be too pretty. I don't mind putting in the extra effort when the results are worth it.

I'm leaning more and more toward a low lustre finish, with really nice varnish work on the woodwork to distract the eye :)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote:It's sort of a low key 'stippled' finish right in the gel coat ... almost like a non-skid deck surface.
OK. Yup, I can picture it exactly.
Peter wrote:Ah ... here is when I have to confess: it's not a Triton ... it's a San Juan 24.
All boats are welcome here! No confession necessary.
James384
Deck Grunge Scrubber

interior paint

Post by James384 »

Since I'm a tight-fisted git I used an oil-base enamel "eggshell finish" type of house paint inside Atom. It's semi-gloss and textured enough to hide minor surface irregularities and did not leave much brush marks. Can't suggest a brand since I put it on in South Africa 8 years ago. Though not a marine paint it held up well and only in the last year or so has it started looking like it needs a recoat, not because its coming off but mainly sooty stains from the kero lamps and stove. I may look for something similar to recoat next year.

I do like the Brightsides and Toplac which I've been using on other boats recently and may try that on Atom's topsides and deck. Atom's only had two-part paints on her exterior in the past 25 years, recoating every 5-8 years, but I'm getting tired of the expense and mostly of the tricky application procedures to get a nice job. Anyone have any good or bad experience with the one-part exterior marine paints recently?

James
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

Since I'm a tight-fisted git I used an oil-base enamel "eggshell finish" type of house paint inside Atom. It's semi-gloss and textured enough to hide minor surface irregularities and did not leave much brush marks. Can't suggest a brand since I put it on in South Africa 8 years ago.
I've used Benjamin Moore Porch and Floor paint (urethane reinforced alkyd enamel) with good results.

John
Blue Teal A30 #284