Outboard chainplate hull reinforcement ABYC standards

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Outboard chainplate hull reinforcement ABYC standards

Post by Surveyor »

Awhile back there was a discussion concerning this topic. I have spent all morning searching for it and the stardards online but I am not coming up with anything.

I am planning to replace my bulkhead mounted chainplates with new outboard ones. I am at a stage where I need to cut an opening in my bulkheads to allow placement of the reinforcement glass and access to the bolts. I want to do it right the first time but the problem is I dont have the formula/standards which determines the dimensions of the reinforcement.

Would one of you have access to this information and be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Outboard chainplate hull reinforcement ABYC standards

Post by Rachel »

I think I posted in that thread - not with ABYC standards (are there any for this?), but with information from Dave Gerr's book. Let me see if I can find it via searching and link to it.

Edited to add:

Here is the thread I was thinking of (not sure if it's the same one you were remembering). In case you are wondering how I found it, I searched using the terms "outboard" and "chainplate."

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5563&hilit=outboard+chainplate

The post where I quoted from Dave Gerr's book starts here (and some discussion continues about it later in the thread):

viewtopic.php?p=46804#p46804
Surveyor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 30 #329

Re: Outboard chainplate hull reinforcement ABYC standards

Post by Surveyor »

mmmmmmm forum search wholesome goodness!

That is in fact the thread I was thinking of. Thank you very much Rachel!

If anyone else has anything they would like to add while we are on the subject please feel free to chime in.