deleted

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Bulkhead Dining Table: Looking for ideas!

Post by captphil416 »

Glenn; Your ideas look pretty good to me. On my Triton I built a dual fold table. First I bolted a mahogany 2x4 to the bulk head. Heavy hinges allow the table supports to swing out. The table is attached to the first support with piano hinge and then fold down flat and connects to the bulkhead with a locker catch. This has worked well for me. Sorry no pictures but with a piece of paper and a pencil I am sure you can figure out how this works. Phil
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Bulkhead Dining Table: Looking for ideas!

Post by Rachel »

A couple of thoughts:

1) If you do go with a folding bulkhead table, I've always thought that the ones with a shelf built into the back looked sort of neat. Like so:
Neat folding table.jpg
2) On the other hand, I like "permanent" tables because, well, I like having a table around pretty much all the time, and also because I like a table you can grab/fall on/count on in a seaway. This is probably less of a priority if not going offshore though.... and also, the Triton may be narrow enough that you can always count on grabbing something else (?)

3) One completely different table arrangement I like is something like you see on the Albin Vega, or (with some modification), an Alberg 30 (see Yves Gelinas' boat). That is, a freestanding table with leg(s) that have a shape like _/ (then add another horizontal line at the top which I can't do). In other words, the leg(s) has a jog, and anchors in the sole or at the edge of a settee. This way, the table has options:

a) It can be in the middle of the aisle, and serve both settees simultaneously.

b) It can be swung back fore-and-aft, over one settee, still usable for projects, etc., but completely out of the way of traffic (yet you don't have to clear it off).

c) It can be swung back athwartship, and make a sort of mini-dinette (with your feet in the center passageway) (the one-leg version).

d) If provision is made, it can be brought out to the cockpit and slotted in there.