Availability of Project Boats

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Availability of Project Boats

Post by JetStream »

I was under the impression that the source of project boats was drying up as people found these classics to be sometimes better than new boats, once they are rebuilt. Today apparently proved me wrong. I went to a boat auction that included a Bristol 34, Eastward Ho 31, Alberg 30, Bristol 22 and several ugly boats. The boats definitely needed work but looked structurally not that bad. About ten people showed up and there were no bids placed for any boat - not even for a dollar! If I wasn't already in the midst of a project, I would have been into one today. I wonder if this is abnormal.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It seems that with the thousands of classic fiberglass sailboats built over the years (say, from 1959 to 1970), and many of these which have never been modified or (barely) maintained, it will probably be some time before the supply of project boats dries up completely.

There are a limited number of crazy people who actually are attracted to the idea of working on old, derelict boats. Of that number, there are an even smaller, dedicated few who truly follow through and actually get the project to completion. This leaves the potential for "partial projects"--boats that were once the object of someone's enthusiastic project attention, but have languished--unfinished--in their backyard for years when other obligations and iterests got in the way.

Just when you think you've seen all the (Tritons, Albergs, Pearsons, Bristols, Cape Dories, fill in the blank) in your own area, one day we tend to be surprised, while driving somewhere, to see yet another one that we had never noticed before. And so it continues.

The frightening question is: will project boat-lovers one day be forced into "restoring" modern marvels of yacht design from some (to remain unnamed in the interest of decorum) current builders? It troubles the soul to ponder.

I think the real stumbling block to people like us is the upfront cost of the project boat. There are plenty of boats that I see every day that qualify as bare-hull restoration candidates, at least to my eye. But far too often their owners, blissfully unaware of just how far their steed has deteriorated beneath their feet, stubbornly refuse to believe that their price may be too high. If the boats can't be purchased for a low-enough price, then it is difficult to make the restoration at least marginally worthwhile.

It will be interesting to see how the trend continues. A faltering economy will certainly stop the "big boat" boom in its tracks, causing more people to look more realistically at the smaller, older boats.

But will the supply ever dry up completely? No...but the boats will undoubtedly become more difficult to find and purchase.

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote: The frightening question is: will project boat-lovers one day be forced into "restoring" modern marvels of yacht design from some (to remain unnamed in the interest of decorum) current builders? It troubles the soul to ponder.
Tim
It is a frightening thought, but I would wager that the following factors will keep that from happening:

Most project boat afficianados have a real sense of classic boat beauty, and that is part of the reason they end up looking for a project boat in the first place.

As you mentioned, there are plenty of old classic hulls languishing, and by the time I can imagine all of those hulls being "restored" 2 things are likely to have happened. 1) Many of the boats that were once restored will have passed from one owner to another and some of them will certainly have deteriorated again. Sad, but likely true. 2) Most of the "modern marvels of yacht design" simply will not be worth restoring. Many of these hulls are cored, or woefully thin, and just aren't worthy of the time and money investment for a serious restoration. By the time project afficianods are reduced to looking for those sorts of hulls, probably half of them will be in landfills. They just aren't built to stand up to the ravages of time the way many of the old classics were.
Tim wrote: I think the real stumbling block to people like us is the upfront cost of the project boat. There are plenty of boats that I see every day that qualify as bare-hull restoration candidates, at least to my eye. But far too often their owners, blissfully unaware of just how far their steed has deteriorated beneath their feet, stubbornly refuse to believe that their price may be too high. If the boats can't be purchased for a low-enough price, then it is difficult to make the restoration at least marginally worthwhile.
Tim
This is so true. It is simply staggering what people ask for their boats. Tritons with spongy decks, rusting A4s, and minimal equipment listing for 8k, 10k, even more. Heather and I looked at one listed for 16k that had no electronics, old rigging, an A4, and trampoline-like foredeck.

Just some thoughts....
Tony G
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Location, location, location!!!

Post by Tony G »

Just reading Jetstream's post almost hurts. Having access to boats like those at those prices would be WAY too tempting for me and it wouldn't take long to have a yard full of them and po'd neighbors to boot! I think as long as people have a little motivation and information available to them from sites like this one and the many others linked from here, there will allways be project boats. The state of disrepair is relative and proportional to desire. Look at those lovely wood godesses being restored, I'd never dream of an undertaking of that scale today. Yet, I've just spent the last five days wrapped up like a mummy grinding the underside of a toe-rail (and kinda liked it), something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing four years ago. Tony G
dugong

liking it...

Post by dugong »

LOL, ditto to Tony, I have spent the last week grinding the bilge smooth, and loving every minute of it. So much so that the grin on my face (along with mask lines) has everyone suspecting that I'll never be done just for the sake of having more work to do...
The damn boat has become a local landmark (it being out front in our driveway), I'm afraid we'll be continously having people stop to ask for directions once its in the water...

david
Tim

Post by Tim »

At least some people out there in the world understand why I felt the need for another project boat! When you can have fun grinding the bilge, I know that you're kindred spirits! I spent a good part of a day earlier in the week destroying much of what remains of the interior of the to-be-Daysailor, and loved it all. (Details will be posted in this coming Sunday's log.)

We crazy folk have to stick together. Now, what will I do after the Daysailor is done...? (Gotta keep looking way ahead!)

Tim
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Now, what will I do after the Daysailor is done...? (Gotta keep looking way ahead!)
Easy Tiger! Get that boat barn built, first, Mistah!

Then we'll find you some nice Tripp molds of one sort or another and you can build me some sexy 40 footer! ;-P
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yeah, but then he'd need a barn 1/3 longer than the current triton-sized design!

So Tim, should I sketch up some thoughts on a modular expansion to 60'? ;)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sure, Mike...how hard could it be to add another 20' on to the front of the barn? hehe (BTW--appointment this Friday with the local excavator about site work and such. Some form of this barn is likely to happen!)

Side note: for those of you who don't know, Figment (Mike) is the kind soul who volunteered his architectural services to design the lovely barn concept you see on the Daysailor website. A round of applause for his talents, and generosity!

No matter how big it is, there is always a reason for something bigger! It's enough of a stretch to even be talking about a 30x40 barn...I'm crazy enough at that!

Hey Nathan--tell you what. Let's get that paint job and deck done on Dasein before you start thinking about 40 footers! hehe

Tim
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, hey cool! Mike, good work on the barn!

Tim: was that a jab? hmmm? Sheesh, a guy gets no respect around here! All in good time, all in good time.