Broken portlight dogs

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Broken portlight dogs

Post by carterskemp »

Hi all.

Hope your springs are going well.

I am trying to address the ubiquitous leaky bronze portlights on my triton.

Two questions:

First, the seals. I looked on defender and only found a T-section seal. I am thinking a square section would be better. Anybody know of a good source?

Second, all the dogs are working well, except on the one in the head where BOTH are broken. Every part of the portlight seems to be able to be taken apart EXCEPT the dogs, as they are attached with a pin that has it's ends fattened. I forget the proper metal working term for this. I have attached a picture, although I am sure everyone knows exactly what these look like. Do I need to cut out this pin and find a new dog to install? is there a way to find the same style? I don't particularly like these things that much, or I should say, my head doesn't like mashing into these pointy bits that much. But they are what I have, so...
Attachments
broken dog pieces
broken dog pieces
broken dogs
broken dogs
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Re: Broken portlight dogs

Post by barrybrown »

You can get the dogs at http://www.bristolbronze.com/ , he made some for me a while back and made extra, he also has an original so he can make more.

Barry
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

thanks for the replies.
will check out bristol bronze.
and, yikes! $50 to get the 10' of gasket I need. I will continue to dig around to see what I can find. will post if i can find a cheaper solution. I found a solid rubber 1/4" x 1/4" on mcmaster, but I like the idea of the hollow ones better. seems like they would conform better to make a seal.
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

Didn't someone recently suggest using graphite packing for the stuffing box as a portlight seal? I searched but came up blank.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

I think those wing nuts and portlights were made by Perko or Wilcox Crittenden. My 1969 Tartan had Perko aluminum frames with (I think) are chrome on bronze wing nuts and studs and are the same as Perko bronze units. I broke one portlight casting and never found a replacement, so I ended up restoring a complete set of Atkins and Hoyle Almag 35 portlights in attempt to match the deadlight frames. I still have the broken portlight with the dog assemblies intact. Let me know what the diameter and pitch of the threads on yours are. If they are the same, I would sell these for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I am certain that Bacon Sails in Annapolis has an assortment of those Perko and Wilcox Crittendon portlights, that while they won't have the same dimensions, you can use some of the minor parts.

Joe Henson
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

jhenson wrote:I think those wing nuts and portlights were made by Perko or Wilcox Crittenden. My 1969 Tartan had Perko aluminum frames with (I think) are chrome on bronze wing nuts and studs and are the same as Perko bronze units. I broke one portlight casting and never found a replacement, so I ended up restoring a complete set of Atkins and Hoyle Almag 35 portlights in attempt to match the deadlight frames. I still have the broken portlight with the dog assemblies intact. Let me know what the diameter and pitch of the threads on yours are. If they are the same, I would sell these for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I am certain that Bacon Sails in Annapolis has an assortment of those Perko and Wilcox Crittendon portlights, that while they won't have the same dimensions, you can use some of the minor parts.

Joe Henson

thanks joe, i will measure them today.

on the sealing front, i am trying out some EPDM 1/4" tubing that i got from mcmaster as port-light seals. only 0.61 a foot. will post on it's effectiveness later today.

carter
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

For opening ports I use the gasket from under the lid of five gallon buckets. Its hollow, soft, compressible... oh and free. The first one I did has only been in place a few years so I can't tell how long its going to last. Being as its about a ten minute process I figure I can afford to change it out when it does decide to leak again.

Steve
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Northstar wrote:
jhenson wrote: EPDM 1/4" tubing
Carter,

Does the tubing have a hole running through it or is it solid?

Glenn
Tubing would imply that it is hollow. McMaster Carr has all kinds of rubber stock: round, square, sheets, tapes, hollow, solid, foam, almost rigid, yada, yada. It is quite possible to find a product to replace almost any gasket situation. I have used their materials to gasket hatches that I have built from scratch. When in doubt or at a loss, search McMaster Carr.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

Glenn[/quote]

Tubing would imply that it is hollow. McMaster Carr has all kinds of rubber stock: round, square, sheets, tapes, hollow, solid, foam, almost rigid, yada, yada. It is quite possible to find a product to replace almost any gasket situation. I have used their materials to gasket hatches that I have built from scratch. When in doubt or at a loss, search McMaster Carr.[/quote]

exactly.

i like the idea of bucket lid gaskets, but i have no bucket lids at the moment, nor do i need five gallons of anything.

here is the stuff i bought. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9776t3/=cpci0b

kind of an experiment, which could end up wasting $15, but we'll see. today it is raining and so far so good.

dog measurement will happen this afternoon.

c
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Post by TritonSean »

I'm learning alot about this as I am replacing my opening fwd ports with sealed plexi ones due to constant leakage.
My bronze opening ports have round lignum vitae "buttons" for the dogs and they seem to work pretty well.

Sean
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

finally got back to working on the messed up portlight.

used a punch to get out the peened-in pin that holds the dog. slightly bent the hinge posts, but i kind of knew that would happen with the soft bronze. i don't think it will be a problem.

the dog's diameter is 0.23" to the outside of the threads. i don't care about the pitch, as i will find something to match. also the hole that the hinge pin goes through is .20", would be nice if this is the same so that i can fit a hinge pin back through without too much fuss.

joe, i have also messaged you directly.

carter
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

hi all.

i am still looking for a couple of new portlight dogs.

anyone? anyone?
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

So why not get a longer SS bolt.

Cut the shank to length and drill across it for the roll pin, then cut the threaded section to an appropriate length.

Get a SS wingnut and roll with it!

I can do that for you fairly easily if you have a problem.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

thanks.
already thought of that. but unfortunately to try and get it to be similar to what is already there that setup won't quite work. the shank on a bolt that fits through the tangs is too small. while a bolt with a shank big enough to accommodate the press fit pin will not fit through the tangs. currently i have reinstalled it with stainless eyebolts as the dogs, with a simple bolt and nut substituting as the press fit pins. i think i am just going to fabricate new dogs from rod stock at some point. will post when that happens, but don't hold your breath as it may be a while, cause it is time to sail!
Ric in Richmond

I've got the lathe with threading capabilities....you have the bronze rod?

That or we could mill an appropriate sized upper part that would allow you to slip a stainless steel bolt in and pin it with the roll pin. Got a tool for that too!!!

I don't have the material, so you'd have to procure some, but I am learning the machining end of things and surely would find this an interesting worthwhile project!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That sure is a nice offer, Ric. I like your enthusiasm for working it out. I've always thought it would be neat to know how to machine/fabricate things. Then when you can't find them, well, you can *make* them. How cool is that?
Ric in Richmond

I tell you there is sooooo much to learn with the milling and lathe operations.

I've only recently picked this up as a "hobby" and am having a good time.

It is neat being able to crank out a bracket or something when you need to.

Offer stands for anyone here.

As long as it is relatively simple, not something someones life depends on and you can help out with materials then I'd love to have a crack at it.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

thanks for the offer ric! that is really really nice of you. luckily, i too am versed in the ways of metal fabrication. but since i need to use a friends setup, it isn't always my first option i turn to, nor can i offer it up so kindly as you have.

ok. will post pics eventually.
for now though, clear skies, 10-15 from the north! got to go!

c
Ric in Richmond

I wouldn't say I am versed in it...I just started buying metal working tools...

And just like buying a guitar doesn't make one a musician, buying a milling machine doesn't make you a machinists.

But its fun and I think it is good to expose the kids to it!!

We made a little cannon this afternoon!!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

When you guys have it figured out I am interested too. I recently purchased a pair of opening ports from Minneys with broken dogs. I am willing to pay but just not what Bristol Bronze want for them ($30 a piece, ouch).
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA