Need help with finish work material

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Need help with finish work material

Post by hriehl1 »

1968 Hinterhoeller 28

I've finished chiselling out a problematic plastic headliner and finished and painted the exposed fiberglass ceiling. Where the ceiling meets the wood cabinetry had been finished with caulk which I had to dig out to remove the headliner. With cabinetry now sanded & oiled and the ceiling freshly painted, it is now time to finish that ceiling-cabinetry seam.

I know the accepted approach would be to set a bead of some sort of caulk and give it a smooth look with one's finger or a tongue depressor (as it was originally). My prior attempts at setting a good bead out of a caulking gun with a nice finish have all been aesthetically lame(bathtubs,storm windows, etc.)... I just do not have an artist's eye or touch... I get caulk all over everything, the overall look is inconsistent with uneven runs of first too much then too little caulk... the end result is just awful.

So... what I am wondering is whether anyone can suggest an alternate more-forgiving product I might use. I'm thinking something forgiving like butyl tape which is malleable that can be worked and re-worked into the seam but will then dry in a few days. I'd be OK with any color from Almond (ceiling color) to brown (cabinetry color) but would not want white. I do not think butyl tape would actually work because it does not dry out and my butyl tape is gray.

Anybody have any suggestions?
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Need help with finish work material

Post by jlroberts280 »

Have you tried painters tape on both surfaces leaving a consistant gap between them? Apply caulk, smooth with tool or finger, then remove the tape. This makes caulking much more consistant and managible.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME