Replacing bulkhead with limited access to one side

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Replacing bulkhead with limited access to one side

Post by jlroberts280 »

Our new to us Ericson 35 came with a rotted bulkhead forward of the V berth. I have removed the deck mounted anchor locker tub/bin that sits directly over part of the bulkhead. This has given me great access to all the deck hardware in that area and I plan to remove and rebed it all while I have the area open. I don't think this has ever been done before (thus the water problem).
I removed the tabbing on the forward side of the bulkhead with the hopes of removing the whole thing and using it as a template for building a new one. The bulkhead crumbled into pieces so this is not an option. Before I continue with the project I would like some input on how to proceed.
Part of the reason for our purchase was that we really loved the finish level down below. My project is complicated by the fact that the V berth is finished with a vinyl(?) type fabric runing up the sides to a teak shelf. Above the shelf is a teak strip ceiling that runs up the rest of the side to the cabin top. These treatments end at the forward bulkhead with some teak trim pieces. I removed all the trim pieces before removing the bulkhead so none of them were damaged during the removal.
My question is this, is it possible to install the new bulkhead without removing all the finish items in the Vberth? The rear tabbing from the old bulkhead (the Vberth side) is still mostly in place but it does not appear to be as robust as the forward side was. I found a few prior threads about maybe cleaning this up and bedding the new bulkhead against this old tabbing. I would make sure to prepare the forward area of the hull well for proper tabbing on this side. Does this seem reasonable? Any other ideas?
Attachments
This shows the teak shelf and ceiling pieces where they meet the bulkhead (now removed).  <br />The unfinished looking part of the ceiling pieces is covered by a fabric liner when put back together.
This shows the teak shelf and ceiling pieces where they meet the bulkhead (now removed).
The unfinished looking part of the ceiling pieces is covered by a fabric liner when put back together.
bulkhead2.JPG (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
This is a view from above, after removal of the anchor locker bin.  You can see the bulkhead (now gone), and how the shelves meet it.  This also shows how the top of the bulkhead is not tabbed to anything if that matters for your input.
This is a view from above, after removal of the anchor locker bin. You can see the bulkhead (now gone), and how the shelves meet it. This also shows how the top of the bulkhead is not tabbed to anything if that matters for your input.
bulkead3.JPG (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Replacing bulkhead with limited access to one side

Post by Hirilondë »

The pictures are small and dark, so they don't really help me much, but I can make some general comments and suggestions. By the way, a clamp light or trouble light help a lot taking photos in dark places.

I don't believe this is a structural bulkhead. So in regards to the integrity of the boat I don't think it matters how you reinstall it, or if you even do. This does not mean you want to do a shabby job, but worrying about really strong tabbing on both sides is not really a big concern. I see no problem using an adhesive caulking or thiickened epoxy and installing the bulkhead to the old tabbing, then adding new tabbing to the easier access side.
jlroberts280 wrote:My question is this, is it possible to install the new bulkhead without removing all the finish items in the Vberth?
Simple answer: maybe.

It is a matter of logistics. The old bulkhead came out in pieces. So you don't know much. Could you have removed it forward and through the hatch intact? If the answer is yes, you can likely do the reverse. If not, then you have a blivit. Blivit is one of my favorite words. It means (in this case anyway) something that fits, but you can't get it there from here. Just like some destinations in Maine :>) Or the reverse, something fits well, but can't be removed. I have done a lot of projects without removing adjacent and connect structures. Sometimes it saves a lot of time. Sometimes it creates more trouble than removing them. I would make a pattern in place first, then prove you can get it out of the boat, which proves you can get the new piece in. I would then make the new bulkhead and practice fitting it into place to see just what other problems arise in the process. If it can be maneuvered into place and lined up as the old one was then you are in business and ready to do the actual install. If not, then it is time to consider what other prep work/demolition/taking things apart needs to be done to accomplish the task.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Replacing bulkhead with limited access to one side

Post by jlroberts280 »

Thank you Dave
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME