2 part Primer Question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

2 part Primer Question

Post by todd gustafson »

Hi,i have been reading all the threads that I could find re: 2 part primers before Roll-tip my deck/hull begins. I am going to use Interlux Perfection for final after priming.
It looks like most recommend Awl-Qwik Medium Build primer (2 coats) and 545 for the final coats (1-2 coats).... I found that there is also a Awl-Grip High Build as well but not in a quick dry......

Is it more important to use the Quick Dry and why?....or the higher build?......seems like you can't get both.

Thanks
Todd
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: 2 part Primer Question

Post by Tim »

High-build primer of any sort isn't necessarily a requirement. I feel most old boats benefit from this additional step, but it's not required beneath any of these paint systems. Any high-build primer will necessarily be thicker and more challenging to apply smoothly, so factor that in against the potential benefits for your particular job.

I look at high build as essentially part of a surfacing process, not so much as a primer. The thicker high-build, when evenly applied, works to seal a variety of surface conditions (gelcoat, fillers, etc), fill small pinholes, even out small stress cracks and crazing found in old gelcoat, and provide an excellent base for fine detail fairing/pinhole filling and finish primers like 545. It's not a cure-all, of course, nor is it an essential component.

You can go straight to a primer like 545 on a properly-prepared and compatible surface if you feel the surface is in good enough condition to obviate the high-build.. Plan on a minimum of three rolled/brushed coats, and I'd suggest four is better to ensure consistent coverage when sanded. Consistent primer is important to the success of the 2-part paint finish.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by todd gustafson »

With that said.... what is your opinion on the Quik-Dry.... vs. the regular longer drying time version? Is it important to have a quicker flash so it won't drip,sag etc. Or longer dry time for a "wet edge" so it has more time to flow?

Todd
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

All these paints dry quickly, and in the end the flash time (and therefore wet edge, drip/sag potential, etc) is controlled by how much reducer you add more than any other factor.

I had poor experiences with Awl-Quik in 2000 (the last time I used it) and don't see any advantage to it over anything else, at least not in terms of what you're asking.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by todd gustafson »

Thanks Tim...... wealth of information, we ordered our primer Awlgrip high build and 545..... hope to start this weekend. We'll post photo's
Todd
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Depending on where you are, you may want some Cold Cure accelerator for that 545. Lets you sand the next day around lunch time when the temp is in the 55. Otherwise its a day or two before it stops gumming up the sandpaper.

http://www.awlgrip.com/Product%20Datash ... eng+A4.pdf
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by todd gustafson »

Hey Zach..Thanks for the pointers..... We are in a heated garage so not sure if i need any additives yet...... Now trying to decide Awlgrip or Perfection