westerbeke parts

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
lowufo
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32

westerbeke parts

Post by lowufo »

we have just purchased a bristol 32 with a WB 21, 1983 vintage motor I can't get it running,but that's beside the point, I met someone today that told me that most westerbeke engines are actually engines manufactured by others ,then WB ads a few parts and a nameplate and paint and its a WB ! If so ..does anyone know who made these engines and where to buy parts cheap that are interchangeable
thanks
RM
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: westerbeke parts

Post by Case »

I don't know any particular details but do recall that some Westerberkes were marinized Kubotas. Not all of them but some were. Some were Nissans or Mitsubishi - small Japanese diesels in general. Often found in farm tractors, industrial pumps, forklifts and the like. Try looking at the engine specifics - liters, cubic inches, cc, # of cylinders and see if other diesels have the same exact specifications. If its exact, chances are good it may be the same model under a different name.

I am not familiar with Westerberkes but do know that Betamarine uses Kubotas in general. Vetus used Mitsubishi or Daewoo or Hyundai small diesels. Most small boat diesels are marinized small diesels because the non-boating industry is so much larger that its more economically feasible to marinize existing diesels. Yanmar is the only one I know of that really does build their own small diesels.

- Case
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

This link may provide useful information for tracking down what engine it really is.
lowufo
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32

Post by lowufo »

I can't for the life of me find a tractor H2O pump. I think I have found another solution .... rebuild the existing. I'll be sending out to a rebuild shop soon... will let everyone know the results
thanks for all the imput !
ChrisKing
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Puffin
Boat Type: Alden 44

Post by ChrisKing »

I believe my 1978 vintage Westerbeke 40 is a marineized Perkins 4.108
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Or a marinized Perkins 4-107 - the difference being (I believe) the cylinder linings - fixed or removeable...
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

The 1982 and 1983 Westerbeke W27 was a marinized 4 cylinder Mitsubishi blocks. I believe the W21 of that vintage was also a Mitsubishi block.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
jetboy52
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

Post by jetboy52 »

Torresen Marine in Michigan is a source for new parts but they are expensive. There is a fellow on ebay who parts out Westerbeke diesels and you can buy used parts inexpensively on ebay. I had a bad injection pump on my Westerbeke 40. I think the injection pump is not a Perkins part. A new one from Torreson was over $3k. A used one from ebay was $120. I ended up having my injection pump rebuilt at a local diesel pump repair shop for $800. I asked them if they could rebuild the fuel lift pump ($320 new from Torresen) but they said they did not know of rebuild kits for the lift pump. However Torreson sells a rebuild kit for this pump for $40 so I plan on rebuilding it myself (my lift pump is currently working OK but I want to rebuild it as a preventative measure).