Exploded the Water Muffler--now I am trying to fix...

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Exploded the Water Muffler--now I am trying to fix...

Post by Richincident »

I have a "Vernalift" water muffler by Centek. I suspect it is almost as old as the boat, though it MIGHT be younger.

Somehow in rapid fashion the brand new (4th voyage of the year) impeller fell apart, then the hot exhaust gases blew up the water muffler and briefly burned the hoses.

I have cleaned the water system in the Volvo MD2 and the water pumps very well. To test I duct taped the water muffler and sure enough, the water came out of the exhaust pipe at a gratifying volume.

BUT now I am trying to fix the muffler. It is a simple drum with a couple of FRP tubes in and out. About 2/3 of the top were blown out by the hot gases (made a nice POP as you might imagine.). I THOUGHT I could simply fill the opening with thickened epoxy, perhaps a couple of times, the use some thinner epoxy and glass sheet to create an ugly but impervious muffler.

However there is some kind of grit in there and I can't make the top fit smoothly over the cylinder. So I began doing sugery on the rest of the top, figuring I could separate the whole thing, then have a nice clear view of the remnants. I am having a REALLY hard time getting the cover to let go of the cylinder. Moreover, I am adding more abuse to the whole system.

I am now ready to just keep filling the badly fitting cover onto the cylinder and just trust WEST system epoxy to stick it all together. However, this offends me and IF I mess it up I will have a worse mess to fix. PLUS everything else on the boat is perfect, so I want to sail. SOUNDS like a new water muffler could be as many as a couple of weeks away, so I want this fix on AT LEAST a two week basis.

Any thoughts out there???

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Re: Exploded the Water Muffler--now I am trying to fix...

Post by barrybrown »

Richard'

I have an extra used Vernalift, it is 10" long- 6" in diameter and fits 1 5/8" hose. If it fits you can have it for $10.
It is in Plymouth.

Barry
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Hey Barry--SOLD!
How should we get together??

Richard
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

THANKS BARRY! And great job on that Triton--she is gorgeous. Have a great launch!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT