Bedding Teak

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
EKE
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Robin Lee
Boat Type: Yankee Dolphin #118

Bedding Teak

Post by EKE »

I'm going to be mounting some linear teak trim along the edge of the cabinhouse of my Dolphin...restoring a bit of original trim that was removed by previous owners long ago.

Simple question - what should I use to bed the teak trim? 4200? Anything better?
Erik Evens
Robin Lee - Yankee Dolphin #118
Los Angeles, CA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Bedding Teak

Post by Hirilondë »

Are you bedding it or fastening it with the goop?
TheSealant Comparison Chart is a great place to compare the characteristics of goops to help choose the one that best fits the needs of your job. I never use 4200 or 5200 unless I need serious fastening strength, which is very seldom. What ever you choose, make sure to either prevarnish the back side of the trim (if you are varnishing it) or clean it with acetone immediately prior to installation (if you are leaving it natural or oiling it).
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
EKE
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by EKE »

I'm bedding it. Will be using screws every 12-18" to fasten.
Erik Evens
Los Angeles, CA
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

In the fall of 2003 I replaced the teak eyebrow trim above the ports on the side of the coach roof of my Sabre and bedded them with Dolphinite bedding compound after giving them 3 coats of varnish on the underside. I have been very satisfied using Dolphinite and if I ever have to remove the eyebrows, there will be no problems caused by strong adhesives. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

earlylight wrote: I have been very satisfied using Dolphinite and if I ever have to remove the eyebrows, there will be no problems caused by strong adhesives.
That is the exact point of my question and a good choice for bedding only.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

In case you're searching for it online, it's Dolfinite.

/librarian glasses off

Rachel
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Sorry for the spelling error. I stand corrected. It did not look correct when I typed it, but my dictionary (the can of Dolfinite) is in my dock box and I am at home.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
EKE
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by EKE »

What better to use on my Dolphin than Dolfinite? :D

Thanks all! Appreciate the guidance.
Erik Evens
Los Angeles, CA
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

earlylight wrote:In the fall of 2003 I replaced the teak eyebrow trim above the ports on the side of the coach roof of my Sabre and bedded them with Dolphinite bedding compound after giving them 3 coats of varnish on the underside. I have been very satisfied using Dolphinite and if I ever have to remove the eyebrows, there will be no problems caused by strong adhesives. Just my 2 cents worth.
Great stuff for that use. Morris Yachts still uses Dolfinite for similar applications.
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com