Painting the Hull

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Painting the Hull

Post by rickal4884 »

When repainting the hull do you paint the entire hull with primer or do you leave the area below the bootstripe for bottom paint only?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Painting the Hull

Post by Figment »

Bottom paint only.

unless you count "barrier coat" as primer.

I'll get my coat....
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

There is no reason to prime the bottom, but it is usually good to lap paints vs. mask to a mechanical seam. I suggest the primer go below the waterline a little to be lapped by the bottom paint to a masked seam with the topside or boot top. If you use barrier coat, the primer should lap it a little vs a masked seam.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

as such...Interlux Epoxy Prime-Kote on the topsides, with bottom faired and ready for bottom paint (or barrier coat - no frowns out there please)...