Brush reducer as a paint stripper?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
moonie5961
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Banzai
Boat Type: 1974 Contest 31

Brush reducer as a paint stripper?

Post by moonie5961 »

I have an idea.. I am kind of reluctant to try it, though.

Sanding the small area below my teak rubrail is a pain in the butt, my random orbital sander is too large to get in the nook, and my palm sander is useless as it gums up with paint immediately.

When doing my 2 part compatibility test, the rag soaked in brushing reducer 2333 did a great job of dissolving the old paint, and leaving only gelcoat behind.

My idea is to cut long 3" strips of paper, saturate them with the reducer, and then lay over the old paint along the rubrail. When the paint is dissolved or at least softened, I can come back and wipe it away-leaving only gelcoat behind.. This would eliminate alot of annoying sanding.

My concern is that I can vaguely recall reading somewhere that it's not good to apply harsh solvents directly to gelcoat, but this may be my imagination.

Is there a risk in this idea? I always cut my own throat when I try to cut corners like this, but I think that it might work very well.

I would be sure to clean the area very well afterward, before coming back with a palm sander.

Please let me know what you guys think!
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: Brush reducer as a paint stripper?

Post by The Froon »

....18 hours across three days, 15 sheets of 60 grit paper....to get the "tight" spots....sometimes you just got grin and bear it.

Brian
moonie5961
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Banzai
Boat Type: 1974 Contest 31

Re: Brush reducer as a paint stripper?

Post by moonie5961 »

Brian, Thanks for the response.
As for your picture... well, THAT is dedication! Such a beautiful boat certainly warrants such meticulous work.

I just re-read through your blog, and have to say I'm really impressed with your attention to detail and workmanship. You're doing a great job of documenting the project, too. Project logs like yours, Tim's and others on this site are invaluable for newbies like myself.

I tried the paper idea, it didn't hold enough solvent to remove paint... I think I am still going to try it with an old sheet ripped into 3" strips.

I'll still have to sand afterward, maybe this will help, though. I'm sure that my fingers will be adorned with bandages by the end. =)